Dangling Limb - What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangling Limb - What would you do?

Not sure I am putting this in the right forum, please let me know if there is a better forum for this.

I've got a Sassafras tree with a long, relatively large limb dangling from the top about 20-25 feet long. It is attached by two stands of wood, one strand is pretty thick and one strand is much smaller. The main trunk of the Sassafras is a V shape. The other V is in good shape but the one with the dangling limb is not in good shape. It is starting to crack at the top of the V. (see pictures)

I've tried tying a rope to the limb and twisting it in all directions. Both strands have stayed attached.

If I try cut down the damaged V of the main trunk, I'm afraid the dangling limb will create chaos as it falls. Also, most of my stacks are under this tree. So I figure I'll be restacking firewood for quite awhile if I ever get this limb and tree down.

If I can get this limb off, then I could cut down the Sassafras trunk on the bad V side.

I'm looking for thoughts and/or ideas on how to get this limb off the main trunk.

Thanks,
CW

Attachments

• Closeup-1.JPG
    Closeup-1.JPG
    737.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Closeup-2.JPG
    Closeup-2.JPG
    579.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Left Side.JPG
    Left Side.JPG
    836.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Long view.JPG
    Long view.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
  • Right Side.JPG
    Right Side.JPG
    779 KB · Views: 173
Hard to tell how high up that is. Fouls you reach it with a pole saw? Be careful. You might also try pulling it with a vehicle or a come-a-long.

Dammit, autocorrect. Should read, "could you reach..."

It is about 30 feet to the top. I have a pole but no near long enough for that. I've tried a come along but with the limb's length and the main trunk leaning in the direction of the pull, it is just not enough pull.

Any other ideas?

Call a professional.

Well, this idea is a little hare brained, but here goes anyhow: Get yourself up the other trunk part way via a nice safe ladder. When you have gained enough altitude, use your trusty pole saw to sever those threads. Again, hard to tell from the pic, but the two trunks look close enough together.

Diabel has the right answer. It may not even be all that expensive, and you get to know a tree guy to boot.

Lastly: 12 gauge? You can tell everyone about the time you shot down a tree. ;)

Stacking wood is good exercise.

Wait for it ti fall is probably the easiest.

Well, that was interesting. The limb is down and the main trunk is sort of down.

I got the limb down but the trunk of the V that the limb was attached to, came with it. Rather than the straps of wood giving way, the trunk of the sassafras gave way. It was pretty rotten down at the bottom.

I used 3 15 foot long, 6500 lb tow straps from HF with a 4000 lb comealong and pulled them both down. I only had about 3-4 feet of cable on the comealong, so I used the comealong as far as I could, then tied it off, unroll the comealong cable and repeat. It took four times but the limb is down and the trunk is sort of down. It is resting on a wood stack for 2017. A lot of clean up to do now.

I have mostly oak and hickory for the next 3 years and sassafras will mix in well with it. Plus sassafras is great for BBQ smoking chicken and pork.

Thanks to everybody for their thoughts and ideas.
CW

Attachments

• P1040351.JPG
    P1040351.JPG
    783.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P1040361.JPG
    P1040361.JPG
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 128
  • P1040347.JPG
    P1040347.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 101
  • P1040348.JPG