Dante valve leaks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r4115

Apr 3, 2007
We have a Dante gas valve on our fireplace and it is leaking. The local gas company has verified this and shut off the gas. The valve stem is readily accessible with a deep socket, so can it be replaced or repacked to solve the problem? I don't want to replace the entire valve as that will require removal of brick.

I'm sure people will want to know if this is a half turn key valve or one of the valves you have to crack around a few times to close them.

I belive I read in another thread that those are not code anymore in a lot of places. Other than that, I cannot help you. Hopefully someone who knows more about those will have some ideas.

Use a socket to snug it up and 99% of the time that is the end of the problem.

I repair a dozen or so of these per year in my fireplace repair business.

Seattle Pioneer

Hi R,
Have you checked on your fireplace manufactures website or The Consumer Product Safety Commission Website for Safety Recalls on this valve?
Robert Shaw had a major recall a couple of years ago.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.