Dare I try a steel catalyst combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Went to pick up the new cat I had ordered, and found the shop had got me a stainless steel one instead of the ceramic I thought I was ordering. The guy doesn't normally stock that size, but doesn't want to send it back, so he offered to sell it to me for the same price as the ceramic, even though they normally sell for $60 more.

I've been curious about steel cats, so it would be interesting to try one, but haven't heard much good (or bad for that matter) about the current generation of them here, so I am vacillating on whether to take him up on it. Any advice?

slindo said:
.....so I am vacillating on whether to take him up on it. Any advice?

Can't respond. Don't know what that word means. :long:

I think if I had a shot at a steel cat for the same price as ceramic (uh... and if I had a stove to put it in), I'd be all over that offer.

From what I can tell, there's been little or no experience with steel cats here among the Hearth.com folks.

Kind of depends on whether you enjoy the "early adopter" mindset. Or alternatively, whether you feel like "taking one for the team", and letting us all know how well it works.

If it isn't a budget-busting amount of $$ for you, I encourage you to give it a try!

Eddy

If it hasn't been vaccinated, I'd give it a shot. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.