Darn mice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
OK, so I had to go cleanup after the last snow. Pulled out my old snow thrower and noticed the the tranny just wasn't quite right but it's been acting up like that all Winter. Anyway, I got into some rough around the log pile and had a bit more tilt than I'd have doing the driveway when suddenly the tranny quit on me and I had to drag it out of the rough and push it back to the shop.

I figured that I sheared a bolt on the sprocket again. I thought I put an end to shearing bolts when I moved up to a grade 5 bolt. Anyway, I pull the pan on the tranny and the darn thing is full of mouse nesting material. It was everywhere! Wrapped around several shafts and sprockets. No wonder I wasn't getting the range of speeds and power!

LLigetfa said:
OK, so I had to go cleanup after the last snow. Pulled out my old snow thrower and noticed the the tranny just wasn't quite right but it's been acting up like that all Winter. Anyway, I got into some rough around the log pile and had a bit more tilt than I'd have doing the driveway when suddenly the tranny quit on me and I had to drag it out of the rough and push it back to the shop.

I figured that I sheared a bolt on the sprocket again. I thought I put an end to shearing bolts when I moved up to a grade 5 bolt. Anyway, I pull the pan on the tranny and the darn thing is full of mouse nesting material. It was everywhere! Wrapped around several shafts and sprockets. No wonder I wasn't getting the range of speeds and power!
WOW

I had mice eat the coil wire on my walk behind when my tractor snowthrower was down...then the recoil pulled out of my little snowblower. How the heck do 3 snowblowers go down at once??? Just kinda laughed and replaced the recoil...

Amazing!

Time for a few barn cats. I keep 3 and they keep my mice problem to a minimum. Just only give them water and only feed them now and then so they keep hunting.

I had a mouse eat up the wiring Harness in my 2004 Toyota Tundra. The dealer wanted $2700 to repair it. A tech @ the dealer told me my car insurance would cover it, it took several calls to the insurance co. but they covered it. All it cost me was the $100 deductable.

mouse nests, or mouse parts found? pulleys may dissect mouses

snowmobile exhaust pipes, mower decks, cars in barn, parts drawers in the garage..... PITA

For years they have been packing the cooling fins of my garden tractors with junk. Ya can't see the stuff until the shrouds are pulled off. Darn near burned up an 18 horse engine one time.

Wait until they move into the air filter - mouse bits DO not go through engines at all well... I have learned that the first check you should do on any engine that's been sitting for more than a few weeks is the air filter / carb area.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.