Dash for the cash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many cords do you plan on cutting this Fall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Or savings how ever you look at it.

Last year was my first year and I burned 5 cords.
Scrounged (C/S/S) all winter through April and ended with 11 cords
Assuming I will burn 5 again, my goal is to end April with 15 cord C/S/S (3 years worth) - so I am shooting for processing 9 cord between now and April.
(BTW - 1 is done, 1 needs split/stack so off to a good start)

I had mine ready last fall (12 cords) I only burn 5 a year so I am taking a break for now..

I have 4 large dead red oaks and a whole bunch of black cherry that need to go.

The oaks probably have carpenter ants, so I wait until it is cold and the ants move more slowly.

If I don't get to them I can tag 'em and my brother will gladly back his trailer up and have at them.

I would've answered 0 but it wasn't a choice. I have no place to put anymore wood until January when I start replacing what i will be burning in November and December and that will be for 2012/13.

But I guess that isn't quite true. I have 10 pine trees and a few apple trees that were killed by camels to take down in mid-October for a friend but will be leaving the wood at his place and keep it as emergency backup.

I could not vote because I don't plan on cutting any wood this fall. I'll wait for winter. lol

No plan here on how much; I just cut whatever. Last year was 9 cords. It will depend on weather and how my body holds out. It could be another 9 cords or maybe 2 or 3. I'll be able to answer how many by next April though.

Backwoods Savage said:
I could not vote because I don't plan on cutting any wood this fall...
+1
I don't cut any wood in the fall.

i need another 3-4 cords for 2010-2011 black birch and oak the oak will sit 2 years

I'm clearing out some land to open up the area to stack wood on the southern exposure side of my property. The garden is in front of the wood line, so I'm taking roughly 8 trees down behind it. A mix of red oak, red maple, ash and white pine.

smokinj said:
Or savings how ever you look at it.

I average 3.5 cords a year. I have 4 cords seasoned 12-24 months ready to go. I have just shy of 2 cord for next year.
In good shape....The price on grapple loads here in CT is High, so I am on a search and destroy mission on dead BTU'S.

WoodButcher

Unknown? I'll have to wait and see what kind of CL scores fall into my lap.

Maybe a cord and a half in the fall . . . if you meant for the year, 3-4 cords (I hope).

None this fall ( broken Foot ) but this winter after it heals I have 8-10 cord to cut and split. I will take deliveries of wood my, Father in law just brought me a p/u truck load of oak and locust this afternoon and my nephew says he has several big down trees to clear out this fall.

wendell said:
I have 10 pine trees and a few apple trees that were killed by camels to take down in mid-October for a friend but will be leaving the wood at his place and keep it as emergency backup.
Waidaminnit! Camels? You guys got some desert areas up there in Wisconsin? %-P

I burn about 8 cords a year, and I have this years nice and seasoned in the yard. problem is we cut in late winter early spring, and mud was an issue. so we are going out this fall and cutting another 8-9 for next year so we dont have to deal with the wood.

I've got this years and next years all C/S/S. I'm scrounging off my own property (I think they call that thinning) for a little white birch, cherry and some softwood: fir, spruce, poplar and pine. I should have about 3 cord of this before snow flies.
Happy burning.

Cluttermagnet said:
wendell said:
I have 10 pine trees and a few apple trees that were killed by camels to take down in mid-October for a friend but will be leaving the wood at his place and keep it as emergency backup.
Waidaminnit! Camels? You guys got some desert areas up there in Wisconsin? %-P

I was wondering how long it was going to be before someone else picked up on this. CAMELS?? WTF!

billb3 said:
I have 4 large dead red oaks and a whole bunch of black cherry that need to go.

The oaks probably have carpenter ants, so I wait until it is cold and the ants move more slowly.

If I don't get to them I can tag 'em and my brother will gladly back his trailer up and have at them.

Let me know when you need the help, I'll bring my trailer as well!!

Finished all my cutting this summer. 2 dry cords from last year and 2 rushed cords from this summer (pine and standing dead fir and larch). Three more cords on standby for next year to burn. I moved and got a stove last year so I am behind. Hope to cut another two plus cords this fall, again for next year.

One truck load (about a cord).
I already had my wood shed full, but a Llama stole some of my wood so I have to cut some more.....

You need an option for none. I've got 16 cords split, stacked, and covered. The saw has been winterized. I actually plan to sell some of this unexpected overstock.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I already had my wood shed full, but a Llama stole some of my wood so I have to cut some more.....

Damn dirty llamas!

Highbeam said:
You need an option for none. I've got 16 cords split, stacked, and covered. The saw has been winterized. I actually plan to sell some of this unexpected overstock.

sure didnt think about that. This is prime time to me! shooting for 30 cords so if I need extra cash its there if not the spring is open for kayaking

I have to cut a dying Cherry tree on my property, and a Maple on the neighbor's. Plus what ever turns up thru Craig's List or scrounging.

Carbon_Liberator said:
The dog ate my homework. Then Llamas stole some of my wood. Now Camels are out in the forest killing trees. What a world...

Oh, the GF made me build a fire tonight. Toasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.