Day after christmas cleanup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe13

Oct 8, 2014
York, ME
Since It was almost 50 and sunny, I spent Friday in the woods doing some work. Tree guys had dropped several trees when they installed the power at the new house. I was planning to leave it until next year, but it was too nice out. I C/S/S about 1/2 a cord before I got too tired. Looking for some wood ID too. I know the dead tree was most likely an ash, but I'm not sure on the other. Maple maybe? super wet and heavy. stringy when split.

Haven't gotten to this bad boy yet. Quite a big tree, i might have to split it in place then carry it to be stacked.

Closeup of the split i need Id

Pile of the ash all split

Nice work! Ash got me through my first winter. Even not fully seasoned, it burned well.

Reactions: Joe13
Looks like oak and possibly elm leaves on the ground, can you give a close up of the end grain?

First one is ash (as you've determined); second one is sugar or rock maple. From the bark, color and grain, it can't be anything else in Maine.

Yea, I had a feeling it is a maple of some sort. I have both on my site. Its quite the Pain in the Buttt to process. All the wood I'm working now is for next year. Majority is ash, some red oak, some shagbark hickory that probably wont be ready. and this maple if I can get it squared away in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.