Day of Reckoning with Mr. Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VA Bugler

Sep 19, 2013
Virginia
Mr. Propane " I am going to starve to death if you don't start using more gas"
Mr. MVAE owner "grin"
Mr. Propane "What are you using to keep down the usage? You guys bundled up in coats?
Mr. MVAE owner "I put in a pellet stove."
Mr. Propane "Oh, OK! Well, 84 gallons in 60 days must just be for hot water heater only"
MR MVAE owner "well, upstairs furnace is set on 70 upstairs. Downstairs furnace hasn't been on all year. Just got back from a 2 day trip and my Mt. Vernon kept the house at 70 degrees and still had pellets left in the 80 lb hopper when we got home. The dual propane furnaces are collecting dust:)"

2012 -Consumption from Oct 30 to Dec 30 = 289 gallons or $748.51
2013 -Consumption from Oct 30 to Dec 30 = 84 gallons or $225.18
Pellet Consumption - 66 bags or 2640 lbs or 1.32 tons = $315.48
Cost Savings = $207.85
2012 house temp at 68 degrees vs. 2013 house temp of 72 degrees on average.
Look on Mr. Propane's face= priceless:)

Driver # 11 comments on receipt-"Volume delivered has been compensated to 60 degrees"

Reactions: Hoot23
I just put in pellet stove dec. 10th hopeing for same result.

Congratulations!

Your propane bill was cheap compared to fuel oil

Mr. MVAE owner "grin"
Mr. Propane "What are you using to keep down the usage? You guys bundled up in coats?
Mr. Propane "Oh, OK! Well, 84 gallons in 60 days must just be for hot water heater only"
MR MVAE owner "well, upstairs furnace is set on 70 upstairs. Downstairs furnace hasn't been on all year. Just got back from a 2 day trip and my Mt. Vernon kept the house at 70 degrees and still had pellets left in the 80 lb hopper when we got home. The dual propane furnaces are collecting dust:)"

Cost Savings = $207.85

Driver # 11 comments on receipt-"Volume delivered has been compensated to 60 degrees"
Good job! The temp compensation is because gas changes volume based upon temperature. They normalize to 60 degrees to compare apples to apples.

Ahh yes - was a beautiful day when I removed my propane firelogs in preparation for installing my 2nd wood burning insert. Gladly carried it over to the trash pile .....

Mr. MVAE owner "grin"

Cost Savings = $207.85

I do the same in my house. Propane on upstairs. Starve my propane downstairs with pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.