Days When You Just Hate Being A Woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
This happens three or four times a season here. We had a beautiful day in the fifties but all along the forecast has been for it to slide down into the mid twenties tonight. After the sun went down the temps were right on track and approaching 32 degrees at eight o'clock so I burn a coal bed burn and at nine o'clock set a night burn. Text book burn. Within ten minutes it looks like I have natural gas piped into the back of the stove.

As the stove is coming up through 600 I walk back across the room and look at the outside remote thermo. 47.7 degrees! Walk outside and it feels balmy. Come back in and look and all of the weather wienies have bumped the forecast up over ten degrees for the night. :ahhh:

I think I will sit a pan of biscuits out on the kitchen counter to bake and be ready for breakfast. :coolsmirk: If it had been ten degrees out the load would have given me grief for two hours before it settled in.

I hear ya brother...some days it's almost easier open a few windows and let the stove burn as God intended. Think of it as a luxury...you would never swap out air if you were heating with fossil fuel.

At least you will have soft butter to put on your toast in the morning.

In Wisconsin the other day it hit 53 by me, proceeded to drop to 20 degrees that night, I figured no fire, when I went to sleep it was still 48. Woke up the next morning and the power was out. House was down to 61 thought time to make a fire...5:00 am got the insert lit and the power came back on! Thats one time I would have let the nat gas furnace run! O'well, n othing like a 50 dollar gas bill for the kitchen stove, water heater, dryer and furnace!!

So you have finally moved out here to BC bro bart?? :lol:

sonnyinbc said:
So you have finally moved out here to BC bro bart?? :lol:

If Enviro has an off switch on those things I am changing stoves. :lol: This sumbitch is cruising at 650 shut all the way down and it doesn't seem to be in the mood to slow down.

Lessons learned. Never trust the weatherman and watch out when you light off the first burn after a chimney sweeping. Da draft gets mean. Even when it is "warm" outside. And you have one of those "evil" outside chimneys.

This thing ain't a stove tonight, it's a forge. :roll:

BrotherBart said:
This happens three or four times a season here. We had a beautiful day in the fifties but all along the forecast has been for it to slide down into the mid twenties tonight. After the sun went down the temps were right on track and approaching 32 degrees at eight o'clock so I burn a coal bed burn and at nine o'clock set a night burn. Text book burn. Within ten minutes it looks like I have natural gas piped into the back of the stove.

As the stove is coming up through 600 I walk back across the room and look at the outside remote thermo. 47.7 degrees! Walk outside and it feels balmy. Come back in and look and all of the weather wienies have bumped the forecast up over ten degrees for the night. :ahhh:

I think I will sit a pan of biscuits out on the kitchen counter to bake and be ready for breakfast. :coolsmirk: If it had been ten degrees out the load would have given me grief for two hours before it settled in.

Those four days a year you have has not blessed us yet. :coolgrin:

north of 60 said:

I keep telling ya north of 60 you have winter, Thursday, and then winter again. Move my brother. Move. You and that Blaze King are our heroes but that it is just too damned cold there. Get out. There is life after frostbite. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:

I keep telling ya north of 60 you have winter, Thursday, and then winter again. Move my brother. Move. You and that Blaze King are our heroes but that it is just too damned cold there. Get out. There is life after frostbite. :coolgrin:

Thanx for your concern B.B. but we just got a Wal-Mart here two years ago and I figured Ill have a warm place to hang out when I get too old to process my firewood. ;-P
N of 60

north of 60 said:
Thanx for your concern B.B. but we just got a Wal-Mart here two years ago and I figured Ill have a warm place to hang out when I get too old to process my firewood. ;-P
N of 60

I think I am gonna get me one of those "Greeter" jobs at Wal-Mart myself. Wouldn't do it in the Yukon though. Too cold right there in front of the door. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
N of 60

I think I am gonna get me one of those "Greeter" jobs at Wal-Mart myself. Wouldn't do it in the Yukon though. Too cold right there in front of the door. :lol:

I am trying to picture that with a straight face.... Nope, can't do it.

What I hate is when you can't get a consistent forecast out of anybody. The picture below is two forecast pages on my local TV website. The Friday night low is listed as 38º on the one on the left (keep the fire going) and 55º on the one on the right (let the fire go out).
So do I keep a fire or let it go out?

I understand that weather is not an exact science, but a 20 degree discrepancy seems a bit over the top.
I complain, they send me platitudes.
<sigh>

Attachments

• weathercrap1.jpg
    weathercrap1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 397
If you haven't already, one must check the temps on North of 60's weather website located in his signature. My God. Makes my teeth chatter just reading them!

brooktrout said:
If you haven't already, one must check the temps on North of 60's weather website located in his signature. My God. Makes my teeth chatter just reading them!

OMG, is that some kind of cruel joke? What are you in for N of 60? That is just punishment! :lol:

BrotherBart said:
watch out when you light off the first burn after a chimney sweeping. Da draft gets mean. Even when it is "warm" outside. And you have one of those "evil" outside chimneys.

This thing ain't a stove tonight, it's a forge. :roll:

Mee too !! Plus we had a stiff breeze. My "overnight" load was gone by probably 3:00 and it was 85F in the house. Scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.