Dayum, wish I burned coal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howwildz, that does look like a deal but burning coal is dirty, dirty and dirty. Did I mention that it is dirty? In the winter the snow turns black. At least it used to. Maybe the newer stoves are better but it is still dirty stuff to handle.

Oh yes, btw, I should mention that it is dirty.

I would love to have that SOB in my basement.

Ghettontheball said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Howwildz, that does look like a deal but burning coal is dirty, dirty and dirty. Did I mention that it is dirty? In the winter the snow turns black. At least it used to. Maybe the newer stoves are better but it is still dirty stuff to handle.

coal is washed currenltly & burn is righteous +++ long & clean smoke butttt theres the global warm thing

I wunder if sumday dirtycoal thiry mite B Dbunked like pinewood burning thiry.
My snow nevr turnd black, only yellow butt nut from coal. :gulp:

I'd love, love, love it.

Talk about shorts & a tank top :)

Backwoods Savage said:

Having burnt coal wood and pellets, I can honestly say that coal is the cleanest of the three hands down......

Ghettontheball said:
Michael6268 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Having burnt coal wood and pellets, I can honestly say that coal is the cleanest of the three hands down......
u aint got no 3 hands! do u?

3 hands in the bush is better than a cycloptic psycadelic pendulum!

Most people who have never burnt coal say it's dirty, but that 's absolutely NOT true. Anthracite coal ( hard coal ) is dirt, dust, and smoke free. Antricite is a pleasure to burn with very long burn times in free standing stoves like the typical homeowner uses. There isn't near the work of cutting, splitting, stacking, drying wood and when it's time to burn you don't haul a bunch of bugs, dirt, sawdust, and loose bark into your house and on your carpet. Coal is much easier with much less work and dirt. Soft coal has more volatiles and does smoke when it first starts but even that can be minimized with proper burn techniques. Some soft coals have more heat than the best hard coal. The only real thing wrong with coal for home heating is availability. There is just no coal for sale here in South Carolina, forcing me to burn that nasty, dirty, labor intensive wood. I would love to burn coal , not wood. David

I'm in PA so I can get all grades of coal easy from the worst soft coal that stinks like burning tires to hard anthracite that burns super clean with a pretty blue flame.

Coal is only as dirty as the quality you pick. Good quality bituminous bottom cut coal is not dirty, it smells like coal burning outside but you dont have steam engine like billows of black smoke all over. Burn it right and its as clean as hardwood.

Cheap high sulfur coal does stink and smoke. There are other grades of coal that have different levels of impurities in it, you have to burn a little from each mine or strip and see whos coal burns best for ya.

Washing coal doesnt make it burn any cleaner. Coal dist and chips burn as cleanly as lumps. It's the quality of the coal not the size grade.

If your house is covered in soot, then you aint burning the coal right.

Cmonguys, no need for yet another debate.
Some coal burning is dirty, some is clean.
Some depends on the handling & such.
My folks had a coal furnace, and I saw first hand it was dirty. The basement was always covered in a layer of coal dust.
My pop even found it laying up in the small attic space 2 stories up.
A coal boiler would prolly be better as it is not forcing air around the place spreading the coal dust.
It all depends on the appliance burning the coal & how its handled.
Some is very dirty, some very clean.
I just thought that was a nice looking stove at an almost steal of a price.
Even looking through the glass, it looks like the firebrick is almost new.
Someone will be lucky to get it. I'm tempted, but will pass. Have 2 wod stoves as it is, and one still needs installed.
And a ton of never ending projects on the list.
Almost have the stonework done in the new office. Next off to the bedroom for more stone.

I can't scrounge coal where I am, so wood it is.

myzamboni said:
I can't scrounge coal where I am, so wood it is.
Rollins is on Sons of Anarchy this season ;)

Todd said:
How much is a ton of coal going for now adays?

Good Anthracite, about $150.00 a ton, was talking to a coal burner today. Prolly can find it for $130.00 if lo0ked hard enough.
When my parents burned it back in the 80's and lastly in the mid to late 90's, it was around $90.00 a ton.

Use what works for ya at the best price.
But, Bitumous in no way comes close to Anthracite in heat or cleanliness.
There is just no comparison.
But $40.00 a ton is nothing to snub ones nose at. Nice

I burned some years ago and I still don't like it. Have I mentioned it is dirty?

The dirty part of coal is in the handling and improper air mixture during burning.
I bag up my coal outside and when firing , I throw bag and all in the furnace. This eliminates the dust in the house. As far as belching noxious smoke, it's all in the burn (air mix) baby!!

I think my ol mans most dirty part was the delivery being chuted into the basement bin through an old window opening & when shaking the grate.

Hogwildz said:
I think my ol mans most dirty part was the delivery being chuted into the basement bin through an old window opening & when shaking the grate.

I've heard of people spraying chuted coal with a garden hose to keep the dust down in the basement.

wildthangisagirLEEsaw said:
Hogwildz said:

I've heard of people spraying chuted coal with a garden hose to keep the dust down in the basement.

Well the ol man is burning a propane fired boiler now. Hes wishing he kept the coal since propane went up drastically about 2 or 3 years after he had it installed.
Would hosing it down prior to chuting, cause any bacteria or mold problems? Would it dry out enough or in time to fire in the furnace?

Hogwildz said:
wildthangisagirLEEsaw said:
Hogwildz said:

Well the ol man is burning a propane fired boiler now. Hes wishing he kept the coal since propane went up drastically about 2 or 3 years after he had it installed.
Would hosing it down prior to chuting, cause any bacteria or mold problems? Would it dry out enough or in time to fire in the furnace?
I wood spray a fine mist in the chute as it was travelling down the chute or as it was falling off the end into coal bin. Most coal today is washed before delivery so there shouldn't be much dust.
I think mold needs a decaying soure (food) to grow. Doubt coal fits the bill .

Anthracite coal is the way to go for home heating. I do also burn quite a lot of wood too, but I find anthracite to be a very clean alternative to other fuels. Anthracite coal, as well as wood, I found has some dirt problems, but like any other fuel, it is all in the operator as to how clean you can keep things. I found that after firing anthracite coal, in the proper appliance, it is totally possible to burn it as clean as gas, but the proper operation and handling of the fuel and ashes is more time consuming that just using gas or electric.

If you design your coal bin correctly, you shouldn't have any issues with dust. Sure go ahead and spray it down with water if you need to, but I've found that most anthracite coal is already washed and fairly dust free. Some dealers will even oil it down for you for a small fee. Another alternative is to buy your coal in bags. It costs a bit more, but you will have the much less dust if any and it will be easier to store than bulk.

I've never had any issues with coal growing mold. You can burn it wet, or even frozen if you have too. I did find that a slightly damp coal caught easier than dry coal, when recharging the fire. I think that it is because of the extra oxygen in the water that provides this faster recovery.

Remember, anthracite coal burns differently than wood and leaving the fire alone will have to be learned.

"But, Bitumous in no way comes close to Anthracite in heat or cleanliness." :roll:

Bituminous in one of my stokers is as clean as anthracite. Most eastern bituminous has a HIGHER btu content than anthracite, some much higher (2-3000btus/lb more); additionally, most bituminous coal has less ash: 7-11% vs. 10-16% for anthracite.

As was mentioned, most dust/dirt from is from improper/dry handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.