Dbl wall temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I don't have a thermometer for the stove pipe yet, may our may not get one. When I run my ir meter from the top of the stove up the pipe, I get 540f from the outlet of the stove and temp goes down to 240f at the support box at the ceiling. do those temps sound pretty normal while the stove its cruising at 600?

Also, my wall next to the stove is reading 170f, but I can holds my hand on it, so should be fine. I meet and exceed the clearances, knowing I will build a hearth backing eventually.

I thought that somewhere on these forums they said that wall temp is approaching danger zone but the fact that you could hold your hand comfortably on it sounds like your IR is reading wrong.....Not sure, but hopefully someone else will reply....Merry Christmas....

The temperature of the outside of a double wall stove pipe is pretty well meaningless. The air gap means that the outer wall is air cooled and does not correlate with the inner wall temp.

If you are actually wanting to know your flue temps, get a probe meter as many of us have to measure that actual temps of the smoke in your chimney. The meters give recommended burn temps and in your non-cat stove you only really need to worry about the top end of 1000 degrees.

The Castine is quite radiant. What is the distance from the stove to the wall? Is there a rear heat shield on the stove?

170F is pretty hot. I know that I could not hold my hand on a 170F wall without some pain.

BeGreen said:
The Castine is quite radiant. What is the distance from the stove to the wall? Is there a rear heat shield on the stove?

170F is pretty hot. I know that I could not hold my hand on a 170F wall without some pain.

Rear heat shield is on, but the warm wall is to the right 14 inches. Right now stove temps are 425f and the trouble wall is146f. I may look into putting something up on the wall. I want to do stone with air space, but I need to research it a bit.

Sounds like a good plan for more peace of mind.

As mentioned exterior temps on double wall pipe doesn't give you any truly valuable information . . . best bet is a Condar probe thermometer . . . it's not perfect, but it will give you more info than shooting the temp with the IR thermo.

170 degrees on the wall . . . that seems a bit high . . . even when I have the Oslo cranking the walls never get that hot.

Of course my ir is off. I could hold my hand on the wall, and keep it there.

Exterior pipe temps on double wall are useful. As you burn your stove, you can get a trend with respect to the surface temp. We have a surface thermometer on our double wall pipe between our Kestone and chimney. It is a very useful measure of pipe temp.

What they are not is the exact temperature of the inside pipe surface temp or flue gas temps through the pipe, but as you learn your stove, you can get a feel as to what temp is acceptable on the surface of your double wall pipe and ust that to govern the safe operation of your stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Backwoods said:

That's a bummer, can you return it? I definitely could not do that on a 170F wall.

BeGreen said:
Backwoods said:

That's a bummer, can you return it? I definitely could not do that on a 170F wall.

Ya, just got it at home depot. Its a ryobi. Reading the manual it could be 40f off. I'll run some tests on it. Merry christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.