DC tourist advice: trolly or bus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Looking at 2 comparable hop-on hop off tours of DC for this spring with a group of 14. One is a trolly, one is a bus. Pretty much identical by the literature except for the mode of transportation.

Anyone do both or have advice on which is preferred?

Thanks

pen

Looking at 2 comparable hop-on hop off tours of DC for this spring with a group of 14. One is a trolly, one is a bus. Pretty much identical by the literature except for the mode of transportation.

Anyone do both or have advice on which is preferred?

I've done both as a kid. The trollies are open air which is nice when the weather is good. Don't forget to hit up your member of Congress for a tour of the Capitol building-the tours are free of course and the Capitol building often gets overlooked believe it or not. The new visitor's center is pretty cool too.

Reactions: pen
I did the bus, loved it (the city).

My friends and I did the Segway tour last year. It was a blast, and an amazing way to see the sights of DC.

-SF

Can't say. I am always driving in and cursing not being able to find a parking place. >> But the people on the trolley always look like they are having fun. Dressed goofy, but having fun.

Spring can be iffy for weather, nothing worse than a damp rainy day in an open air trolley. The bus will protect everyone from the elements being hot or cold and the seats are nice and padded, not wood bench seats like most trolleys have.

We went a few years ago in spring, right as the cherries were starting to bloom. It was great. We had a very convenient family suite close by the White House with parking that made it easy to get around by foot, cab and subway so we left the car parked most of the time. Plan on spending longer than you think. It's a beautiful city with some fantastic places to visit. You'll want to linger.

Thanks everyone, since we are going at the end of the month, we decided we'll use the bus for the hop-on-hop-off service just in case the weather is bad!

Been to DC with a group several times now, and there's always different things to do. Haven't done the same trip twice.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.