Dead and down drying time??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So if I am cutting up some dead and down stuff how long does it have to dry/season

Most has been down a long time and when I do split it seems very dry - its all basically hardwood not pine

Whats the scoop on this stuff??

Dead and down wood will be all over the board - some will be ready to burn, some will be wetter than live trees. I think if you are cutting something like tree tops you will find the branches that are held off the ground will include some wood that you could burn now. it won't be quite like seasoned firewood, but OK. A lot of the rest of the wood will require at least until next burn season to be ready, and some of the dense wood like oak will need to sit out next season and be burnt the year after that - fall of 2012. In general smaller diameters, wood held high off the ground, and lighter woods like soft maple, tulip, poplar, etc. have the best chance of being ready to burn.

this particular tree was off the ground - it basically was about 30 yards long - no bark and was about 24 inches in diameter. It split real easy and seemed very dry. I was thinking it should be no problem for next season

Thanks for the first input

Pretty sure to be excellent for next season.

Get it split and stacked NOW and you will probably have some good wood for next winter.

BTW, I'm a WVU grad and a boater also... Tragic season on the Gauley this year, eh :(

Apropos to this forum, do you have a Burn in your quiver of kayaks?

Actually grew up in York and started boating from there - no Burns but lots of Pryahnas over the years and I squirt boat the Gauley. Actually tried burning a few of the splits and they burned very hot and dry but again I have a cat stove and once it gets up to temps I think almost anything slightly dry would burn

Yes, this is another case of, "it all depends." Some will season fast and others will take longer. However, most dead stuff if you get it cut and split now should be ready next winter. Notice that I said most; not all.

Wood Duck said:
Dead and down wood will be all over the board - some will be ready to burn, some will be wetter than live trees. I think if you are cutting something like tree tops you will find the branches that are held off the ground will include some wood that you could burn now. it won't be quite like seasoned firewood, but OK. A lot of the rest of the wood will require at least until next burn season to be ready, and some of the dense wood like oak will need to sit out next season and be burnt the year after that - fall of 2012. In general smaller diameters, wood held high off the ground, and lighter woods like soft maple, tulip, poplar, etc. have the best chance of being ready to burn.

+1 . . . Answer truly is "It all depends. . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.