Dead Ash Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepdog000

Dec 7, 2010
Midwest
I went yesterday and scored some ash. A small amount was on the ground for some time. I took what I thought to be not rotten. The rest of it was still standing with no bark, I cut down. Can someone please tell me if I should burn this in my stove or if it's so far gone I should throw it in the firepit next summer. The first pic, after split, it was almost brittle and crumbling apart. The other is some in my wheelbarrow and one of the pieces has something white on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not worried about the other ash I have as the bark is just starting to fall off and it split nicely.

Attachments

• ash 1.jpg
    ash 1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 405
  • ash 2.jpg
    ash 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 411
Dry it and burn it. The punky stuff you can mix in with what you add to existing fire.
Are you afraid it might hurt/damage something? Won't.

Thanks CT Yank, I was just wondering of it was worth splitting the rest or just putting it on a pallet for next years bonfires. Some of it was falling apart as it was splitting.

That punky stuff in the first picture, you can burn it if you want (some folks do) but there is not much to it. I simply throw those away as I just don't feel they are worth the effort of picking up, splitting, stacking, etc. There just is nor much heat in that wood. The second picture looks fine even with a little mold starting.

+1 that others have said. I always go by the weight......you can tell when you pick it up whether it is worth saving. The real punky stuff feels like balsa wood. I save it for the outdoor firebox.

Nothing more to add . . . I do as others . . . if I don't need the wood . . . and I usually don't . . . I toss the really punky stuff aside and burn it in the shoulder season or for camp wood.

I dropped 3 big standing dead White Ash trees in late summer. Split and stacked under shelter after removing all the bark too. It is now all at about 20% mc. The punky/balsa pieces mixed in to the hardwood are dry and burn fast but good. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.