Dead & Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure are right there with the never ending process. We have to do work on our trails annually and sometimes more frequent.

I think Dennis is right . . . looks a lot like elm.

But if it is basswood you'll know as soon as you buck it up and start lifting it -- it will be notably lighter than you think it should be.

In either case, it doesn't matter to the species or to the size of the wood . . . it all burns . . . and to every species there is a season. The way I look at it -- basswood may not be as good as elm and elm may not be as good as oak, but to the guy heating his home on a chilly fall day or a downright freezing winter night, having well seasoned wood of any species is good . . . and in this one case, size does not matter as all wood is good wood . . . whether it takes 5 trees to make a half cord or a single tree to make a half cord.

zapny said:
CTYank said:
What're you going to do with it- c&s or chip it?

My vote: chip it. Unless you're really short for shoulder-season wood, then WTH.

I think we'll use it for burning in the woods this winter. Just wanted it down before it became more dangerous.

gibir

Yes and you did good if the dead tree would have kept on growing it would get even more Dangerous :zip: :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Getting this back to the original post, I'll say it is dead elm. Now let's argue over that one and please don't get personal. This forum does not need that.

I say elm too. . . When you split it, should look like that stringy pic I posted awhile ago.. Cant Find the pic now. One of your past Wood I.D. threads (And mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.