Dead Elm Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After hauling the cherry out I picked a small bag of leeks, I then hauled & stacked two loads of dead elm we plan on burning this year.

Attachments

• 100_7246.JPG
    100_7246.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_7247.JPG
    100_7247.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_7248.JPG
    100_7248.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 144
Still good stuff there. We have lots of it to cut.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
I love that elm. Not too much of it this year, yet. Last spring we did a HUGE Siberian elm at a guys place. It was long dead, had been killed many years ago by the dutch elm disease, all the bark was off of it and it was almost as dry as a bone..... Great stuff, too. I cut, split, and layered it on top of my stacks. Burned it up last winter, it dried out pretty quickly....

Looks good, Zap. Has it got "the sound" already? ==c
Dries that fast?
I haven't run across any White Elm except one small tree on the edge of the yard, but that was a volunteer so it must be out there. I've gotten some dead Red that was low 20s MC that seemed to take its time drying out the rest of the way. It still had a slight sizzle to it after that hot, dry summer last year. I had it stacked in a row without a ton of air movement, though. I've got more Red stacked and more to cut, so I'll see if this batch seems to dry any quicker in a spot that gets a little more air.

Some of it had that sound to it when you hit them together, most of both trees had lost all the bark. I'll do a moisture meter check on a few splits then check twice in June.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.