Dead Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I took a ride yesterday checking out some dead standing, found this with the smaller tree with leaves growing next to it.
zap

Attachments

• 100_5934.JPG
    100_5934.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5930.JPG
    100_5930.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_5931.JPG
    100_5931.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_5932.JPG
    100_5932.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5933.JPG
    100_5933.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 156
It could be another Butternut.

zap

Leaves look like an elm, not sure about the bark. Let us know what it acts like when you split it.....

That bark looks pretty loose Zap............possible elm
I guess one of us will get something done :confused:
How long did the Doc say it would be before you can get back cutting? This other dead tree is in behind the original dead tree, I'll grab both the day I do it.
zap

Attachments

• 100_2776.JPG
    100_2776.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 106
Zap, the leaves sure are elm but the bark on the tree and the shape of the tree don't look quite right for elm.

Gotta respectfully disagree Chief . . . both the leafs and bark look like a young to middling age American elm to me . . . especially the bark in the first pic.

Gotta respectfully disagree Chief . . . both the leafs and bark look like a young to middling age American elm to me . . . especially the bark in the first pic.
You may very well be right. It is difficult to tell from pictures. When I can put my hands on it, I am pretty confident, but not from just pictures.
Gotta respectfully disagree Chief
I am used to that one anyway Jake;)

Zappy, what diameter is that tree at the base? That puppy may make for some really nice Swedish candles!!

You may very well be right. It is difficult to tell from pictures. When I can put my hands on it, I am pretty confident, but not from just pictures.
I am used to that one anyway Jake;)

After reading many of your posts and conversing with you through PMs I think I can safely say . . . I suspect that most of the men and women under your command truly do respect you and enjoy working with you.

After reading many of your posts and conversing with you through PMs I think I can safely say . . . I suspect that most of the men and women under your command truly do respect you and enjoy working with you.
Thanks

Reactions: ScotO
The tree looks like cherry to me but then again Ive never seen elm.

Based on the leaf and bark, looking at the book, I'll guess Eastern Hophornbeam aka Ironwood...one of the very best.

If this is all the same tree, than yes its elm. the leaves are elm and the pic 5931 looks exactly like american elm bark to me.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Quit messin' wit da Basswood, Zap. We need a split report on this batch! :p;)

Quit messin' wit da Basswood, Zap. We need a split report on this batch! :p;)
The earliest would be Monday, tomorrow we have some chit going on that will take most of the day. If the basswood came down off the trail it still would be there.

zap

The earliest would be Monday, tomorrow we have some chit going on that will take most of the day. If the basswood came down off the trail it still would be there.

zap
I know you said Monday, but the suspense is killing me! ==c

My guess is either elm or butternut. I'll try to grab it later tomorrow.

zap

I finally cut this, not sure what it is but it's split. The rounds closer to the ground seemed punky but up a little higher they were better.

Both splits I tested read 30 percent.

zao

Attachments

• 100_6135.JPG
    100_6135.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_6136.JPG
    100_6136.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_6138.JPG
    100_6138.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_6139.JPG
    100_6139.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_6142.JPG
    100_6142.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_6143.JPG
    100_6143.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 101
Wow, that looks like it was dead for a while. Did the leaves in the pic come off that one, or another similar one nearby?

Wow, that looks like it was dead for a while. Did the leaves in the pic come off that one, or another similar one nearby?
From a tree right next to the one I cut, do you have any idea on a I.D.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.