Dead Harman XXV.. thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetjeep

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2010
Mass
Hi folks.. I hate "being that guy" who joins a site and leads off the first 5 seconds of membership by asking a question. But here we are. ;)

I did do a little searching around and couldn't find the answer.. and I suspect I know the answer anyway, but I have to ask.

I have a Harman XXV, that's about 3 years old. I was running it last night, first or second time I've used it this season. Worked like a charm. As I went to bed I turned the fan dial to the white "off" zone and left the room. As I recall this is how the manual suggests to kill the stove and this is how I have done it all last year that I ran it.

However, this evening when I went out to turn it back on the panel was dead. All lights off. No power or status light. I checked the breaker and it wasn't tripped, there was power at the outlet. But when I plug in the stove, nothing.

Took the back panel off and it's quite clean and I didn't see any kind of fuses or circuit breaker or anything. I left it unplugged for a while in case there is a automatically resetable breaker and that doesn't appear to be the case.

So, at the moment I am down to the thought that the control panel itself is dead. I haven't opened the control box to see what's in there. I am ASSUMING only one board but I have doubts there is a reset button or anything of use on it.

Any thoughts here? Any better or worse places to order parts for this (otherwise great) machine?

As a side question, is there a way to use a wall mount thermostat on this stove?

Thanks a lot folks!!

If you move the feed dial to "test" does anything happen?

Are you using room temp with a thermistor? If so, is the temp inside higher than the call heat setting.

Do you have any luck using room temp?

How about toggling the manual auto switch? Anything?

We'll figure it out.

Try plugging into another outlet or extension cord too.

Have you checked to see if the 6 amp glass fuse on the control CB is okay?

that fuse is on the back side of the CB, btw.

SMW: Thank you, BUT, I am getting no power to the control panel. So not even the power or status lights are lit. Nada.. nothing.. zilcho.

Wil and Delta-T: Thanks for this one. I'll open the control box and see about this fuse. It sound like a good culprit. I had looked around in the chassis of the stove but didn't see anything and I was resisting the urge to open the control box as it's not obvious how it opens, so I made the assumption that there wasn't likely to be a fuse or something located within.

I'll take a peek when I get home this evening!

Thanks a lot so far!

Hey again guys..

And one more time. THANKS!

I opened the control box (which WAS obvious to open, just not with out a light in the corner of the room) and the BUSS fuse was very obviously blown. I have a replacement sitting behind me at my desk at work, but it'll have to wait until I get home to try it out. Hopefully it was a fluke as to why it popped.

I'll post the result. As I am sure you guys are all on the edges of your seat!

i highly recommend having a trusty surge suppressor plugged into the stove outlet. That will prevent mystery fuse blowing in the middle of an ice storm at 11 PM. good luck

Delta-T said:
i highly recommend having a trusty surge suppressor plugged into the stove outlet. That will prevent mystery fuse blowing in the middle of an ice storm at 11 PM. good luck

+1... it is much easier to reset a surge protector than to replace a fuse.

summit said:
Delta-T said:

+1... it is much easier to reset a surge protector than to replace a fuse.

True surge protectors I've seen are brown and down. No resurrection. If you're talking GFI or circuit breaker, another story, reset and forget.

I'm anti GFI for stoves.... thats just me, but I'd think surge danger is more likely than faulty ground, or dangers from extra amps.

Delta-T said:
I'm anti GFI for stoves.... thats just me, but I'd think surge danger is more likely than faulty ground, or dangers from extra amps.

Disagree on the GFI Delta, but that's beside the point. Don't know of a surge protector that is resettable, is my point. If they clamp up, they're history. They sacrifice themselves for your stuff. Kinda like a Marine jumpin' on a live grenade to save his buddies.

I need to get a surge protector. Will any type of surge protector do? I looked into a back ups and there was a wattage that was important to match.

Hey guys.. thanks again. The fuse did the trick.

As to the resettable surge protector issue. I actually have some resettable surge protectors. I have one built into a power strip and somewhere in my maze-o-crap I have a cube type, single outlet one.

Status
Not open for further replies.