Dead Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After splitting the aspen I decided that I would take a ride around the property when I came up on a standing dead tree, I decided to drop it right in another tree :red: which left it a leaner and hung up so I winched it down then cut it up. Brought some home then split and will test Sunday when I get a new battery for the moisture meter.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1629.jpg
    100_1629.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 529
  • 100_1631.jpg
    100_1631.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 100_1632.jpg
    100_1632.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 100_1634.jpg
    100_1634.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 568
Looks ready to burn to me! If it isn't it won't take long to finish drying..

Ray

looks like some sort of maple , If it had a few red streaks I would guess Box-Elder

Looks good Zap and you should be able to burn that this winter.

put the meter away,
I have never used a moisture meter. That wood will tell you when it's ready to burn. Time, wind and kept dry--all you need to know.

Raybonz,Tony H., Sav and Mainstation I took a reading on two splits, here are the pictures. With all the rain we had in the last two weeks I think the reading seems right.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1641.jpg
    100_1641.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_1642.jpg
    100_1642.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 416
Looks like a lot of the standing dead maple I've been cutting. I've been lucky and getting high teens, low 20's for MC in mine. With this stuff I can usually tell if it's going to be low MC with the tried and true method of knocking two pieces together. But since I love gadgets I still use the meter.

albertj03 said:
Looks like a lot of the standing dead maple I've been cutting. I've been lucky and getting high teens, low 20's for MC in mine. With this stuff I can usually tell if it's going to be low MC with the tried and true method of knocking two pieces together. But since I love gadgets I still use the meter.

albertj03 the wood will come inside Tuesday night then I'll take a reading on Saturday. I have a feeling that two weeks inside and it will be close to being ready.

zap

We decided to put some wood in before the rain hits so after we did that I decided to check the moisture content in the dead maple, I had left most of the splits outside on the picnic table on the southeast side and two splits were in the back of the rhino inside the garage since the tenth.

The first two pictures are from two splits left outside, the third picture are the splits that had been in the rhino inside and the last two are the readings from the splits that had been in the back of the rhino.

Last week they were reading 27-29 percent.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1657.jpg
    100_1657.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_1659.jpg
    100_1659.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_1660.jpg
    100_1660.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_1661.jpg
    100_1661.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_1662.jpg
    100_1662.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 261
Looks good Zap. I repeat (see post 3); you should be able to burn that this winter. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good Zap. I repeat (see post 3); you should be able to burn that this winter. lol

Sav next cold night it's going in.

zap

That's good stuff. I've got a bunch just like it that I'm looking forward to burning this winter. I've been burning standing dead cherry that is slightly punky at night so far. Puts off good heat but burns up quicker than the dead maple.

albertj03 said:
That's good stuff. I've got a bunch just like it that I'm looking forward to burning this winter. I've been burning standing dead cherry that is slightly punky at night so far. Puts off good heat but burns up quicker than the dead maple.

We have been burning cherry since the colder weather arrived, I still have a good amount of wood down that I need to buck up so the dead standing will stay until I get a bunch of cherry,beech and maple taken care of.

zap

Hey that tree looks familiar. It looks like a tree that was laying dead on my property upstate. All those trees look familiar. Have you been going round the mountain taking my dead tree or did it fall to your side. The pics make me want to take a ride up there to get away from the rat race here.

I wish all my firewood for this year was that dry. It'll still burn but not that dry.

pelletnubi said:
Hey that tree looks familiar. It looks like a tree that was laying dead on my property upstate. All those trees look familiar. Have you been going round the mountain taking my dead tree or did it fall to your side. The pics make me want to take a ride up there to get away from the rat race here.

I wish all my firewood for this year was that dry. It'll still burn but not that dry.

I wish that I had cut more of (YOUR) trees. :zip:

tree reclaimer
zap

zapny said:
pelletnubi said:

I wish that I had cut more of (YOUR) trees. :zip:

tree reclaimer
zap

I wouldn't even notice if 10 were missing. I never asked but I hope the neighbors take advantage of any fallen, but not live. Never thought of asking but I should and just leave me a few nights worth of camp fire wood for the holiday weekends.

Same here, I have plenty and that dead one was my first that I cut. Sounds like you have a place in the Adirondacks.

zap

I wouldn't even notice if 10 were missing. I never asked but I hope the neighbors take advantage of any fallen, but not live. Never thought of asking but I should and just leave me a few nights worth of camp fire wood for the holiday weekends.[/quote]

I have land east of Margarettsville in Delaware County(I can't give too many details as if 100 trees go missing then I'll know their missing when I see a bald spot). Adirondacks was at the time an option but the travel time made my decision to find closer.

albertj03 said:

All temps are stove top.

Put about seven splits of this dead maple in last night on top of 350 degree coals, shot up to 700 degrees that is when I pulled the air control out (closed on the Lopi Liberty) she settled down at 750 degrees then back down to 650.

Woke up this morning with some nice coals and 70 degrees in the house. (28 outside)

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.