Dead pin oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Well folks, I very well might break one of my own rules this coming winter. Some will remember that I found a pretty good sized pin oak last spring that was dead. When I cut it I found that it was further gone than expected. So far gone that I have a large pile of junk from it that I won't even bother to burn. So I was back by the wood piles today and just for kicks picked up a few splits. Wow! I was amazed at how light they are. So, I very well may try to burn some of that wood this coming winter. Probably wait until January to do it though.

Here are a couple pictures of that pin oak.

Pinoakcut-2.gif

Pinoakdown-2.gif

Some of it hauled out but not split.

Pinoak4-12-11a.gif

Alot of branches on that bad boy. Looks nice and clean once you cut it up. Try it and see. I have some gypsy moth Oak that has been dead for 20 years that I am going to burn this winter after just a year.

Oh for shame Dennis. :cheese: It's either dry or it ain't. No harm in trying a few splits.

Well folks, I very well might break one of my own rules this coming winter.
Dennis, I can't believe you said that. :wow: Yikes
Just kidding. While cutting all the oak that my son and I cut last winter, I cut one oak log, probably 10 in in diameter that was laying on the ground and in the way. It had snow on it and the outside inch was soft and punky. But on the inside it was solid and dry! I took it home, split it and threw it in the stove just to see if it was as dry as it looked. It was, and I burned all of it that winter. It was white oak I think. If it had been off the ground then I would have believed it, but laying on the ground, that was amazing. You just never know.
Nice looking pile of wood.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1315022908"]Well folks, I very well might break one of my own rules this coming winter. Some will remember that I found a pretty good sized pin oak last spring that was dead. When I cut it I found that it was further gone than expected. So far gone that I have a large pile of junk from it that I won't even bother to burn. So I was back by the wood piles today and just for kicks picked up a few splits. Wow! I was amazed at how light they are. So, I very well may try to burn some of that wood this coming winter. Probably wait until January to do it though.

The key words are (very well may try) next thing you'll be posting a picture of you splitting horizontal. :coolsmirk:

zap

The key words are (very well may try) next thing you’ll be posting a picture of you splitting horizontal. cool smirk

zap
Oh NO! If that happens some of us might have to make the trip to Michigan to see if he is alright. You have me really worried here Zap. Somethings are just not meant to be. Yikes. Suggesting that wood doesn't have to season a bezillion years is bad enough!

So if I understand you, this wood was split this year? If it was dead standing long enough I guess it could be pretty dry after one Summer. Your "heft test" seems to indicate that it is.
"You believe you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you" :lol:

I'll be interested to see how dry my Black Oak is this Fall. It was stacked in May, was dead standing with upper 20s MC.

Nice score Dennis! I have burned Oak like that before and it was fine.. If in doubt place soldiers around the stove for a day and turn them once in a while as it does help.. I have done that a few times when they get snow frozen to them and they dry well that way..

Ray

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Well folks, I very well might break one of my own rules this coming winter. Some will remember that I found a pretty good sized pin oak last spring that was dead. When I cut it I found that it was further gone than expected. So far gone that I have a large pile of junk from it that I won't even bother to burn. So I was back by the wood piles today and just for kicks picked up a few splits. Wow! I was amazed at how light they are. So, I very well may try to burn some of that wood this coming winter. Probably wait until January to do it though.

The key words are (very well may try) next thing you'll be posting a picture of you splitting horizontal. :coolsmirk:

zap

:lol: Zap, I've thought about doing that and posting a picture just to see what responses I'd get.

Woody Stover said:
So if I understand you, this wood was split this year? If it was dead standing long enough I guess it could be pretty dry after one Summer. Your "heft test" seems to indicate that it is.

I'll be interested to see how dry my Black Oak is this Fall. It was stacked in May, was dead standing with upper 20s MC.

Woody, I don't understand the part of about believing I'm special. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As for the oak, maybe I should have taken a picture of the junk I threw away from that tree. I'm sure that many on this forum would have stacked it and burned it but I'll just let it continue to rot where it is.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody Stover said:

Woody, I don't understand the part of about believing I'm special. Nothing could be further from the truth.
That's a quote from the movie "Matrix"...I love that line and the way it's delivered! :lol:
The rules generally hold true, but they're not hard and fast. Sometimes you find the exception to the rule, as it seems you have with this light piece of Pin Oak. Let us know how it burns. :)

Yes, there seems to be an exception to most every rule.

Well, you had fun cutting it up.
That's gotta be worth something.
Kept you out of trouble too. :lol:

Dave, it takes a lot to keep me out of trouble.

tfdchief said:
The key words are (very well may try) next thing you’ll be posting a picture of you splitting horizontal. cool smirk

zap
Oh NO! If that happens some of us might have to make the trip to Michigan to see if he is alright. You have me really worried here Zap. Somethings are just not meant to be. Yikes. Suggesting that wood doesn't have to season a bezillion years is bad enough!

I believe seeing Dennis split wood horizontally is one of the signs of the end times.
:) ;)

:lol:

One other thing I don't remember if I posted about this particular oak but when I was cutting it up, I could hardly believe all the cockroaches crawling out of the wood. Clear up in the top of the tree too. Yuck.... One more reason I don't like much wood in the house.

cockroaches Dennis?!? I dont think i've ever heard that before. i have some pin oak i split during the 09 season i'm looking forward to burning this year.

ohio woodburner said:
cockroaches Dennis?!? I dont think i've ever heard that before. i have some pin oak i split during the 09 season i'm looking forward to burning this year.
I think he's talking about those things that we call "wood roaches." They kind of resemble a cockroach, but I don't know their actual name...
I've got two Pin Oaks lined up that I'll buck and split pretty soon. These are storm casualties so the wood is green, and I'll figure on it being 2014 fuel.

Yup, those buggers were crawling all over that oak. Naturally there was a lot of moisture as there was a lot of punk. In fact, I have a pretty good pile of punky stuff from that tree I threw away.

Status
Not open for further replies.