Dead Pine Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TidalCreek

Aug 14, 2016
NC
I have a large dead pine tree in the rear of my yard which I want to remove. I live on a creek and the area of my yard where the tree is located is on a peninsula. Is it possible to slow burn this tree by drilling a few holes and lighting them which is a method used for burning stumps? The tree is far enough from my house that it will not be a safety issue, nor will it be a fire hazard due to the proximity of the creek, everything surrounding it is always damp. I have a chainsaw, but it is not large enough to handle the tree. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a large dead pine tree in the rear of my yard which I want to remove. I live on a creek and the area of my yard where the tree is located is on a peninsula. Is it possible to slow burn this tree by drilling a few holes and lighting them which is a method used for burning stumps? The tree is far enough from my house that it will not be a safety issue, nor will it be a fire hazard due to the proximity of the creek, everything surrounding it is always damp. I have a chainsaw, but it is not large enough to handle the tree. Any advice is appreciated.
I would see about renting a larger saw or post a ad for someone to help cut for free or share.

Renting a larger saw seems worth it, especially if the rent is paid to a friend in beer. Burning the stump will surrender all control of he fall to fate, possibly making a bigger problem than just having a dead tree hanging around.

You might be asking for one helluva fireball if that thing decides to go up in flames at one time. Thinking about it - that would be cool - a 90 foot flaming tree.
Go for it, but without pics it never happened.:p;lol

Reactions: NoGoodAtScreenNames
Plenty footage of pine trees going up like a roman candle in the fires in western US:( Its beating the firefighters up bad with both the heat and the amount of time this fire season has been. Got a call yesterday about recruiting more firefighters.

Fell it with an ax. Pine is pretty soft and easy to cut. It will be fun. The wedge cut in front is the same as with a chainsaw, and in the back you make a wide v notch rather than a thin cut, but otherwise the technique is similar to using a chainsaw.

Fell it with an ax. Pine is pretty soft and easy to cut. It will be fun. The wedge cut in front is the same as with a chainsaw, and in the back you make a wide v notch rather than a thin cut, but otherwise the technique is similar to using a chainsaw.
Please use a hard hat and an observer. Dead trees are known killers as old limbs fall and maybe a good tensioned rope to help steer as dead trees don't hinge as well as live trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.