dead standing pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I have several dead standing pine trees on my property. I think they died a year or two ago.
If I cut and split them this summer do you think they will be ready to burn this winter?

kobudo said:
I have several dead standing pine trees on my property. I think they died a year or two ago.
If I cut and split them this summer do you think they will be ready to burn this winter?
pine season fast when splitt should be fine

Probably. Get to work! Rick

Yes, I am doing a simiarl thing with a white pine I cut down a few weeks ago. I plan to burn it first in the fall

So what happens if one burns pine that isn't "fully" aged? If I burn "green" oak the only problem I think I get is lower heat output, and some water up the chimney, is that a problem?

Condensation of creosote, Jerry...independant of the species of wood. Seasoning is vital, regardless. Rick

Pine can be prone to termite infestation. Friends had a small pine grove and several of the trees died suddenly and they found they were infested. Watch for them when you cut down a tree. If you find them leave the tree and treat the stump for termites. In early winter cut to harvest for fire wood as surviving termites go into the ground and go dormant. Cut the trees and then treat the stumps in the early spring and early summer to eradicate. Termites need water and sunlight is lethal to them. Wood that is split and dry will not be in danger of infestation but wood that can get wet is an open invitation to them if they are in the area.

kobudo said:

Without a doubt.

I'm doing the same thing; found a few dead standing pines behind our house in VT. I was actually able to push them over. They're not that big, but why let that wood go to waste? I'll see how it looks once I cut it up.

No issues with white pine if they've been standing dead for a year or two.

Most of the dead pine 'round here is due to them pine bark beetles, which are only a hazard to live standing pine, from what I've heard. I used to think they were termites, but the variety of wood destroying pests can be mind boggling.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.