Dead standing vs laying down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
A dead standing tree fell near my house a couple of months ago. I went out and cut a lot of it up...was fairly dry and not to difficult to split...had to leave a large part of the trunk due to weather and time...finally got to it yesterday and it was very wet so much that even my little helper noticed.

Question being would the dead standing tree hold less moisture than the one laying on the ground?

The stander would be drier; Water drains off better and it gets more wind. The trunk will probably need to be split and stacked to get dry, but some smaller branches may be dry enough.

Expect the bottom part of the standing dead tree to have lots of moisture for sure. Not as much up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.