Dead tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
I see a few of these around town. Is it ash? The wood is rotted and orange/red, kind of black cherry color. 7849f2f794260fcbb9fe7cc0437d6a51.jpg1d2c2c0225bf96c159c4a2f99245a177.jpg

Bark looks like ash , but ash is almost white in color.

Agreed. Interesting looking wound in that first pic

Doesn't look like ash. Need splits and ends for a call.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I probably won't be able to do anything until the weekend.

I was thinking Black walnut , but the color doesn't match the description. We need a fresh cut and split , the reddish orange color might be from weathering.

Here are some more pics. Not the same tree but same thing. I think rotten ash. I don't get to close to this leaner. 0623db01ff76bc92c7ad758d2ac43c05.jpg53208ed69fad610d6e42782891e01b57.jpg

Box Elder / Manitoba Maple They are bright red inside, when they die the outside bleaches bright white but the inside stays bright red.

Sucky firewood (17.x Mbtu per cord but it stinks it's what I burn) but pretty in slabs. Not sure they have those out your way (Connecticut?):) They don't live long 20-25 years maybe then they split and fall over. New shoots spring from the stump immediately and they grow like weeds. You can tap them for syrup like a real maple, it's distinct, more sour, and you need 100 times more to make syrup.. But it's delicious.

Careful cutting it, they tend to split in funny ways. They readily fall on their own for no reason as well :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_negundo

Ash leaved maple / Maple ash is another name.

image.jpguniqFlamedBoxElder.jpg

Found this one on my phone see if the bark is similar, leaves/seeds look like maple leaves/seeds. This one fell 2 years ago by the house, it's my kids favorite toy :) Great play structure.

tongue.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasufel and Tom123
Yeah I would say box elder / ash leafed maple . Have not seen many on my property. but , yes the bark is right.

That is ash! The last two pics you posted that show the decay on the backside of the tree you can see where some of the bark has lost its outer layer. That colour is a dead give away to me that its ash. Its definitely not walnut or manitoba maple, walnut gets big furrows of bark that have more depth, and a manitoba would have way more body language on a trunk that size. The bark pattern is consistent with the 4-5 thousand ash trees I have cut !

Reactions: Tom123
That is ash! The last two pics you posted that show the decay on the backside of the tree you can see where some of the bark has lost its outer layer. That colour is a dead give away to me that its ash. Its definitely not walnut or manitoba maple, walnut gets big furrows of bark that have more depth, and a manitoba would have way more body language on a trunk that size. The bark pattern is consistent with the 4-5 thousand ash trees I have cut !
Thanks flopit, I was thinking ash. Hopefully there's enough good wood there to make it worth dropping. I know where there's a few like that around here, I have not seen any walnut or Manitoba Maple here in Northern Ct.

When you get to cutting this tree , be sure to post some pictures . Its hard to tell from a picture of only a small part of the tree ,I would look at the branching pattern etc. ,if the tree were in front of me . Participation is what this site is all about , a chance for everybody to add their 2 cents and learn from the thread.

The tree came down in Tuesday's storm. It's ash. The top is still green. 1058cad22275bb3d4b46a6a261955400.jpg2f2d83c3b37b59cae1f616159c795c3d.jpg1df82a86aab4e347ab9c29c65997517f.jpgb267c1dd7e6510ec54ebb02b7e08c6d6.jpg8a3a6d4295d43e41e0ce0838a59cfa72.jpg