Dead trees vs live and seasoned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Do any of you long time wood burners out there find a difference in burn quality of wood cut from a dead tree vs a live tree that's been cut, split and seasoned?

Assuming of course that the dead tree isn't rotten in anyway.

I don't very often cut green trees unless they have been blown down by storms and I need to clean them up for some reason. But, as long as it's seasoned, I have noticed no difference between those and the ones that were already dead when I cut them. It's all good as long as it's dried for awhile. (I only burn oak)

If it is free then burn it best kind of wood. Dried dead wood means it can be burned today. Probably burns hotter and faster than seasoned split wood so mix in some. I know there were post in the past, that outlined the molectular structure of wood changing in the aging process where too dry wood is not as good. But if its free, ready, and you realize too much of a good thing can create over fire situations and plan accordingly. Then burn it.

I live by the Bay in Va. Humid, to say the least. Dead trees tend to rot very quickly, even hardwoods. So I prefer to cut and split live hardwoods in March, and burn them later that year.

Oaks that fell over in the hurricane two years ago are nearly worthless now.

elkimmeg said:
If it is free then burn it best kind of wood. Dried dead wood means it can be burned today. Probably burns hotter and faster than seasoned split wood so mix in some. I know there were post in the past, that outlined the molectular structure of wood changing in the aging process where too dry wood is not as good. But if its free, ready, and you realize too much of a good thing can create over fire situations and plan accordingly. Then burn it.

Well, all my wood so far has been free, so I'm with ya there. I burn what I get. More idle curiosity at work here. Stove full of this dead elm I've been burning can really take off, even at lowest setting, whereas other woods don't seem to do that as readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.