1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

dead wood harder on saw chains?

Post in 'The Gear' started by jpl1nh, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    Is it just me or does dead wood dull a chain faster than live. I've been cutting a lot of dead black locust and it seems that it dulls my chain really quickly. I also cut a lot of dead red oak and have the same experience. When I cut into something live I'm throwin lots of chips, but the dead stuff seems to throw a lot more saw dust.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    Yup, the harder stuff (whether owing to being a harder species or a drier log) tends to wear chains faster and to produce smaller chips. Hardwood that is dead, standing, bark-less, and sunbaked...bad news.
  3. restorer

restorer New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    When I read the title I thought, if it's pine it's easier, no resin to drag it down, but if it's like BL oops, should have gotten after it sooner. Get a couple spare chains and a good fast sharpener, and remember green is really easier.
  4. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    I think others have reported that black locust in particular is hard on chains. All of my locust was pre-cut, so I can't say either way.

Me, I'd love to get more wood without bark. Dirty and/or sandy bark will dull a chain quick, and I seem to get a lot of that.
  5. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    I find Locust and dead Elm are hard on chains. I find my self sharping my saws at work a lot more at work when cutting them.
  6. snowfreak

snowfreak New Member

Loc:
    Altona, NY
    I own a small chipper, when chipping dead dry branches I must sharpen my knives much quicker.
    I never really noticed a difference when cutting with the chainsaw. The chipper only has two knives so its making contact with the wood more often than the teeth of the chainsaw.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.