Dead wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
I recently got a truckload of wood from a guy who claims to have access to his dads big lot and he only bothers to cut and split the dead trees since there is so much of it. Anywho after I told him I already had a bunch of Locust he brought over what he says is hickory. This stuff was definatly cut from dead trees and after sitting in the basement for a couple days it burns great after the surface moisture and under the falling off bark moisture is gone.
So my question is that I would like to get several cords for next year from this guy but what is the shelf life like for this deader LOL stuff? I can see where my fresh cut oaks and locust can sit for a couple years but how long have these dead trees been dead?
I think it will be fine up on racks for several years I am sure so someone just tell me I am correct :)

Thanks

ChrisNJ said:
I recently got a truckload of wood from a guy who claims to have access to his dads big lot and he only bothers to cut and split the dead trees since there is so much of it. Anywho after I told him I already had a bunch of Locust he brought over what he says is hickory. This stuff was definatly cut from dead trees and after sitting in the basement for a couple days it burns great after the surface moisture and under the falling off bark moisture is gone.
So my question is that I would like to get several cords for next year from this guy but what is the shelf life like for this deader LOL stuff? I can see where my fresh cut oaks and locust can sit for a couple years but how long have these dead trees been dead?
I think it will be fine up on racks for several years I am sure so someone just tell me I am correct :)

Thanks

hickory will last a very long time.

The shelf life of wood is very long, provided you don't get rot. If the wood seems solid it should be fine for several years at least. If rot has started, i wouldn't store it more than a year or two at most. Lumber in my sheds seems to last 10 years without changing much, and firewood splits under cover can last decades and still burn great. Even wood that is uncovered but off the ground in a spot with good air circulation lasts many years. Probably you'll find parts fo the logs that are nice and solid, other parts where rot has started or the wood seems soft. burn those bad parts first.

I cut mostly dead wood, either standing or already fallen.

I've cut white oak, red cedar, and locust, that have been long dead and even on the ground for a while and were still really good. Sometimes white oak will be a little punky around the outside, but the middle will be nice and hard. Locust is crazy, I've cut up locust that had been half burried in the ground for a couple years and it was as hard as anything - the time just helped get rid of the bark.

red oak rots a lot quicker than white when laying on the ground. sweet gum is rediculous, it will rot away within a year.

don't be afraid of dead wood, cut into it and see if there is anything there, and if so, cut it up and put it in your shed. once its stored split and up off the ground it will last for a very very very long time.

As mentioned if there is no rot and it's just dead . . . not punky . . . if it's stored up off the ground it should keep for several years. Last year I used some wood I had stacked behind one of my sheds . . . the wood at the base (not off the ground) was punky and rotten, but the wood in the rest of the stack was fine . . . and in my grandmother's house I have found some wood stored in her basement that has to be at least 7-8 years old and it looks like prime wood to burn in a stove . . . in fact I must confess I find myself lusting after this wood since she no longer burns wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.