Deal on inverters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
m55 cast man said:
How long will one of these inverters run a pellet stove in the case of a power outage?

It depends on the battery powering the inverter and the inverter efficiency. The inverter lists 82% so it sucks up 18% of the battery power going to the stove.
List a battery and together we can figure out how long it will last.

Also, that model 11450 is not listed on the SunForce site. The one listed on the SunForce site is 11240 and is found cheaper at sites other than Northern.

One other thing, In a bind when the power goes out you can use a 400w inverter if you disconnect the stove ignitor and light it manually.

I think the Xantrex SW600 looks like the best bang for the buck, but the SunForce 1000w looks like a good deal too.........just not from Northern.

Sorry just my lack of knowledge showing.. brand new to this adventure. So in order for this back up power set up to work you need to hook up one of these inverters to a battery (car/marine).. what, do you just leave the battery next to your stove (try to hide it with a magazine rack or somethign)? Not sure that set up will fly with the wife being that our fireplace is in the living room. But I don't like what I've been hearing of smoke venting into the house if there is a power outage.

Yes, the units mentioned here are ones that you would manual connect to the stove and a marine battery if the power failed. You may be interested in a UPS that also uses a battery but it connected all of the time. When the power fails it automatically switches to battery supplied power.

One of the reasons I got a Quadrafire MT Vernon AE was the built in back up battery system. There weren't a lot of other stoves on the market that had this.

Status
Not open for further replies.