Deal or no Deal on Whitfield Pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbeeker

Oct 24, 2009
St Louis, Mo
New to the Pellet insert world. Have been looking for a pellet insert and checking with a local dealer who has a used Whitfield Advantage WP2. He says he took it in trade of a gas unit. He says it works fine, will give a 30 day warranty on it. Sticker on the unit shows it as a 1995 model. The unit seems clean and well maintained (from my untrained eye) He is asking $1000.00 for it. Basic question is should I go for it? Looking for pros and cons.

Seems a bit high to me. What has the dealer done to get it ready for sale? New motors, bricks, or igniter installed? New paint? How many used pellet inserts do you see on Craigslist for your area? That would be a good way to judge if it is high or not. Whitfields and Englander's are alway for sale by me and they go for cheap because they were less expensive to buy when new and there are a lot around. Are you handy, or are you going to have the dealer do all your service? A 30 day warranty is not long in my eyes. I also don't know if Whitfields break down more often then other brands but there are a lot of parts listed on E-bay. It could just be that the parts are easier to get from the manufacturer therefore a lot of people are trying to sell parts on E-bay. You don't see near as many parts for Harman, Quadrafire or Avalons for that matter.

After having 1 stove that has an igniter and 1 that doesn't I would go with an igniter next time around. Much, much nicer.

My Harman insert, which is older then the insert you are looking at, cost me $400. The plus side of buying a older stove is that most of them are built like tanks. The negative is you don't get all the new features and updates.

One final note: Now is about the worst time to buy a pellet stove as its the height of the season, or at least the start of it.

Good luck.

Bkins

It`s 14 yrs old. With the tax breaks ona new one It`s not worth it. (my opinion) After 30 days you are up sh*ts creek for warranty service.
You can get a new (slightly blemished) Englanders off ebay with free shipping for near that price.

I agree with Bkins, Wait till febuary and see what he's asking for it. I bet its not that much.

There are some Englanders that are refurbished on ebay. I am not sure there are any inserts available but worth a shot. Check with macman, He has the info and contact on the sellers name. He bought his stove for just a bit more than what that insert is going for. Said it was like new and had a warranty ta boot.

Why pay $1k for a 1995 model when you could have a newer stove for just a little bit more.

Or like Bkins is saying there are a ton of used stoves out there and cheap too!

Edit: Awe shucks, Gio beat me too it!

Oops, I reread OP and saw it read *insert*
Not sure about any Englanders at $1K on Ebay that are insert capable. I know Englanders does sell optional insert trims for some models.

jtakeman said:
Here is the ebay seller, You could ask him if he has an insert available........

As other people above have said, there's NO WAY I'd buy a 14 yr. old stove for $1000. That guy is trying to hit a homerun off you. Most I'd pay would be maybe $500, and would insist on a longer warranty.

As for the eBay deal, like I got, I don't think he has any inserts...they don't sell as many of them as FS models.

You could try sending Mike Holton an email to see if they have any in the pipeline that might be available in the near future ([email protected])

Here's a brand new Englander Evolution Pellet insert on ebay.....different seller than the person I got mine from, and this is a new unit w/ full factory warranty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timber-Ridge-55...ultDomain_0?hash=item1e5722fd6c#ht_3992wt_948

Too much for a '95. I'm looking at a five year old St. Croix soon that's priced at $600.00...it's a $2800.00 stove new.

Honestly , with the tax incentives, and being new to pellets, I'd buy new OR buy a warranteed used one. I bought my first St. Croix for $1200.00 from a dealer. They serviced it, cleaned it, replaced a few parts, did a two hour test burn then gave me a 100% one year warranty parts and labor (in shop).

That's what you should be looking at IMHO.

krooser said:
....Honestly , with the tax incentives, and being new to pellets, I'd buy new OR buy a warranteed used one.
That's what you should be looking at IMHO.

Yep, forgot to mention the Tax credit. The stove I mentioned would end up costing $1750 after tax credit.....and it's brand new!!

If the Whitfield has the updated burn pot, New Bricks, LED Control Board and is auto ignite, I don't think that's a bad deal. First how can anyone compare a Whitfield to a Englander. The Whitfield is a superior pellet stove, even if it's 15 years old. I've worked on both and Whitfield is a much better stove. I'm sorry but you get what you pay for. I would buy a used Whitfield Advantage II before I would buy a New Englander. (Sorry Englander Owners). Just my 2 cents.

Mr Whitfield said:
If the Whitfield has the updated burn pot, New Bricks, LED Control Board and is auto ignite, I don't think that's a bad deal. ...........The Whitfield is a superior pellet stove, even if it's 15 years old........

That's a LOT of "IFS"....(IF an updated burn pot, IF it has new bricks, IF it has an LED control board, IF it has auto ignite)...what if it doesn't??? Without all of those upgrades, what's it worth then? Based on your statement, not very much. You said "I don't think that's a bad deal".....I noticed you didn't say "it's a good deal".

And after the 30 day "warranty", who's gonna fix it if it stops working?

First I would never buy a new stove, I would look for used one, but I'm very handy and I fix everything in my home and on my car's. It is my opinion that old stoves are made better than today's newer stoves. How many of you out in Hearthland have had a warranty problem. How many had no problems with their stove and the warranty expired. If you service your stove and keep it clean it should run for along time. I use my stove for 4 or 5 months a year mostly running 24/7. My Whitfield Advantage T II is 14 years old, I got it used. It has all the parts that came original, 14 year old Auger, Both Blowers, all the factory snap switches, and Control Board. I've had to replace the igniter. I would have to look at the area the stove came from, How many month a year is it used etc. It's not fair to judge a stove we can't see or touch. Like I said IF is has certain things on it. It would be worth it.

Mr Whitfield said:
....., I would look for used one, but I'm very handy and I fix everything in my home and on my car's.....
Unfortunately, not everyone is as handy as some of us.....

Mr Whitfield said:
First I would never buy a new stove, I would look for used one, but I'm very handy and I fix everything in my home and on my car's. It is my opinion that old stoves are made better than today's newer stoves. How many of you out in Hearthland have had a warranty problem. How many had no problems with their stove and the warranty expired. If you service your stove and keep it clean it should run for along time. I use my stove for 4 or 5 months a year mostly running 24/7. My Whitfield Advantage T II is 14 years old, I got it used. It has all the parts that came original, 14 year old Auger, Both Blowers, all the factory snap switches, and Control Board. I've had to replace the igniter. I would have to look at the area the stove came from, How many month a year is it used etc. It's not fair to judge a stove we can't see or touch. Like I said IF is has certain things on it. It would be worth it.

I agree with Mr. w

I dont think this stove will have the ignitor option

if it had new Ultra grate burn pot, New firebrick, new combustion blower and new push button control board I say it is about a $1000 stove
you can go wrong with an advantage 11T stove

you have to keep in mind most new GOOD stoves today start at about $3k
I service Advantage stoves every day and most of them are 10 to 20 years old and other that normal ware down parts I think most of them will go another 20 years
I dont want to get anyone mad at me but I cant say that about the englanders and winriches, Fabco, that I have services

Thanks Rod.

Yes i bought a Whitfield Advantage II off of craigslist for 400.00 and the unit is flawless and everything is original. Very good quality stoves, i have not looked at the new ones made by Lennox but i know Pyro made a good solid stove.

I really love my Profile 30 insert it is 6 years old bought it used off of Craigslist for 400 with a two story liner kit. Cleaned it up as it was really dirty but it has been great so far. Could not afford a new stove but I am able to fix just about anything so i thought why not give it a try.

I paid $200 for my Whitfield II, no pipping though. It had a couple of issues but I was able to get it going with the help of this site and a shop vac. I don't know if your familar with the pellet stove pipping prices though, check out your pipping needs first. bjr23

I just bought a wp2 advantage that is a 1989/1990 model with pipes and a skid of pellets for $500. it doesnt have any upgraded equipment but works like a dream. I think$1000 is a bit high. I know on cincinnati craigslist there is one for $500. just FYI

If they have but two new blowers (200.00ea) an auger(100.00) and a new control board(300.00) on this unit then it would definitely be worth it. Whitfield are definitely going to out perform any Englander pellet stove. And beside Lennox ridiculous part pricing a its a great unit.

I recently found a Whitfield Advantage WP2 insert, a Cricket ash vac, and two bags of pellets for $240. It has good fire brick, all good blowers and auger motor, upgraded control panel, great glass, and an auto igniter. I cleaned it up while still on my tailgate, and fired it up. It burned great with lots of control. It has all the insert baffles as well.
I need to find the correct paint for this stove. It is what I think is metallic brown. What do people use for paint?????

Pellet1 said:
I recently found a Whitfield Advantage WP2 insert, a Cricket ash vac, and two bags of pellets for $240. It has good fire brick, all good blowers and auger motor, upgraded control panel, great glass, and an auto igniter. I cleaned it up while still on my tailgate, and fired it up. It burned great with lots of control. It has all the insert baffles as well.
I need to find the correct paint for this stove. It is what I think is metallic brown. What do people use for paint?????

Stove Bright.
http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=hi-temp-paints
They have a metalic brown, the online color card doesn't look very clear to me though. It may be exactly what you have, some stove manufacturers use this stuff in the factory.

Nice find by the way. The ash vac new is worth almost what you gave for the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.