Dealer install of Heritage has me nervous

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strawman

Oct 25, 2008
Central WI
Recently purchased the heritage and had planned to have the dealer install it. Now I'm not so sure. I questioned them on their install plans and they want to "cement" a loose fitting stove adapter (Simpson brand) to the stove top collar before attaching dbl wall pipe. I called a neighboring dealer and his response was " Tell Them No!". (That was my first thought) "the dbl wall pipe itself will fit the stove collar." Why would you glob a bunch of cement to the collar of a a $2500+ woodstove. Am I missing something here?

So they can charge you for the added labor, tube of cement & adapter.
Your the customer, tell them what you want.

I think you have your answer. If you look in your damper thread, Highbeam stated (and linked to his thread about) the difficulties in tying Simpson doublewall to the Heritage.

I just re-read the manual on the subject:

"Double wall connector (close clearance pipe) which
must be used with a listed factory-built “Type HT"
chimney also may be used with a masonry chimney to
reduce clearances, is available from several
manufacturers, your dealer can help you choose.
Some air insulated connector pipe models available
are Simpson Dura Vent DVL and Metalbestos DS.
Security, GSW and Ameritec also have acceptable
close clearance connector pipe."

It goes on to discuss the Simpson Duravent DVL a few other times. No mention of cementing anything on. I wouldn't slather anything on the outside of such an expensive stove, i'd be outraged if they did it to mine. similarly, even if hidden, if it broke down or otherwise impeded servicing the stove in ANY way, it's not allowable.

Wow, well at least you were warned and now are an educated customer. You are the customer and the installation of that adapter is not required for your stove. Other than for a damper, why does anyone want to install it on the heritage?

There's no good way to seal that large gap on the adapter to stove connection with cement. The problem is that once the adapter is on the stove collar, the outside wall of the double wall hides the joint between the cast iron stove collar and the inner crimped wall of the adapter. So you would need to butter the bajeepers out of the adapter and just shove it on hoping that it seals. No visual check can be made and you can't clean the extra cement that spooges out. You could also try and goober the cement on from inside the firebox but that would be a topical seal only.

All for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.