Dealer said no, what should I do? Advice please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
A dealer just left our house and told us he would not consider installing an insert, a Lopi Revere, into our fireplace. We have a heatilator type fireplace that has a 4 inch wide x 20 inch rectangular damper opening in which the damper door has been removed. He said that he could not fit a 6 inch stainless steel liner through it without squeezing the liner and if he changed the shape of the liner it would create an unsafe installation. I asked him if I cut some of the metal away and created a large enough opening for the liner if then he would install the insert and still he said no. He said no because altering the original fireplace is against code. My wife and I had our hearts set on doing this so needless to say we are very disappointed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

gwm

GeeWizMan said:
A dealer just left our house and told us he would not consider installing an insert, a Lopi Revere, into our fireplace. We have a heatilator type fireplace that has a 4 inch wide x 20 inch rectangular damper opening in which the damper door has been removed. He said that he could not fit a 6 inch stainless steel liner through it without squeezing the liner and if he changed the shape of the liner it would create an unsafe installation. I asked him if I cut some of the metal away and created a large enough opening for the liner if then he would install the insert and still he said no. He said no because altering the original fireplace is against code. My wife and I had our hearts set on doing this so needless to say we are very disappointed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

gwm
That's easy enough call the local building inspector and see if it's true.

call another dealer!

It is pretty much standard practice for 6 inch pipes to be oval to fit through dampers. This is done every day and I have done it hundreds...perhaps thousands of times. If it were mine I would try to get by without cutting.....just with oval and perhaps some grinding. That was it might be able to easily be converted back.

As an example, look at the kit called RTA-6:
http://www.protechinfo.com/ventinox_direct_connect.html

See, it is UL approved and it oval.

So call another dealer or buy the stove and have a chimney sweep install it

only question i would have with it is, is the unit approved for installation inside of the heatalater? some jures dictions consider that to be a "premanufactured fireplace" which the unit may not have been rated for. not knowing the specs on this unit i do not know if this would have had any bearing on it or not, just had a thought that it may have had bearing. personally, i hope you are able to get an insert installed. you will love it

oops just re read the post, my earlier post apparantly wasnt the sticking point. as for the oval pipe , craig is right on the money , there is no problem with oval pipe , actual opening size does not change , just the shape, which really doesnt matter

I have an old heatilator, its a bit larger than that one. But I cut out the area I needed and its a nice easy run right into the top of the insert.
My insert came with a metal plate that will be installed on the firebox of the heatilator inside. Its warns that the fireplace has been altered, etc.etc.etc.
Now if ventingpipe.com, would get off their arses and ship my damn chimney liner!!!!!!
Ordered online Sunday, funds deducted yesterday from my account. Still processing at warehouse and here it is Thursday and still processeing at warehouse!
I'm getting a lil pissed.

So why don't you buy a stove and install yourself? You have enough knowledge here to guide you, read the manuals (liner and stove) and check with local building codes. I find it rewarding to do such projects myself....................

May i weigh in National certified inspecto.r Craig is right, ovalizing the pipet o get past the damper is accepted . I have never heard curtting out the damper changed the listing of the heatolater fireplace What is important here is the insert has to stand alone one the merits of its own listing. The stove has to be listed to be installed in your fireplace and the damper has little to do with it As I see it one can install a round to oval ss pipe get by the dampe and extend it i well into the first clay flue liner. Proviging the clay flue liner is in good condition and is sized to comply with the NFPA 211 cross-sectional code. and that a non combustiable sealed damper plate is installed. If the crossectional area is too large than a full Ul approved liner is required be it converted back to round or ovalized the entire way. the damper can be cut to the exent that cutting it does not compromise structual integerity of the rest of the chimney Some installations use the damper flanges to support the bricks acting as a lintal that part can not be cut. It sounds like your area has a very strict inspector, and this retailer has had installations questioned in the past
Your dealer is taking the stand safety first. Time to call your local inspector to find out where he stands and how he interpets code

Status
Not open for further replies.