Dealers for SuperVent products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
I ran into a snag with my chimney. The 15 degree offset kit that I bought won't allow me to gain enough offset before I run out of height in my attic.

I'm having a heck of a time finding anybody that stocks the SuperVent products locally, and the ones I found don't carry the 30 degree kit. I thought about buying another 15 degree kit and putting two elbows at each end, but I need the offset to be as compact as possible, and I would gain too much height from the elbows that way. I'm also not wild about the idea of adding more joints than I absolutely have to have in my chimney system.

Menard's and Lowe's are both telling me that it will be 3 weeks for them to special order the kit for me!! Ouch! I want this thing up and running! I'm tired of heating with liquid gold!

Do any of you guys know any dealers who stock the Selkirk Supervent 30 degree offset kit? The item number is JSC6*SE3K.

I'm looking for reputable online dealers, or a dealer who would take a phone order and ship me the kit at a reasonable price.

-SF

Yeah, I was looking at that site earlier. Selkirk linked to them as an online dealer. That's the SuperPro line instead of the SuperVent line. There are dealers here in town that carry the SuperPro, but they're telling me not to mix it with the SuperVent. The boxes for these things aren't that big. I have no idea why Lowe's or Menard's doesn't stock both the 15 and the 30 degree elbows.

-SF

Metal said:
"Metal
Posted: 21 December 2007 03:17 PM [ # 5 ]
Just make sure they stock all the parts you need before buying, they have a somewhat limited list of parts they stock (will fit the majority of installs though)."

Remember this post ; ) Your best bet is to wait the three weeks for the proper 30º Kit.

I thought for sure that the 15 degree was going to give me enough offset. What I forgot was that I was going to lose some of my working height as I offset towards the downward slope of the roof!

DOH!!!

I bought everything I was going to need (and more, planning to return some), until we ran into the roof sooner than expected.

Stupid geometry.

-SF

I don't get it, the Super Pro is supposed to be the Canadian line and Super Vent the US line of product.
You would think that the US dealer would sell the US product. I would first call Selkirk and confirm they are not the same or interchangeable, then if they give the ok, call ventingpipe and see if they stock it or have the SuperVent by chance. Can't hurt to ask.

Here's what I've learned so far:

SuperVent is the line sold in home centers. SuperPro is the line sold by stove dealers.

The SuperVent has a shiny outer surface, while the SuperPro is a duller finish. I guess the grade of stainless that they use on the outside is a little lower on the SuperVent.

The SuperPro is physically compatible with SuperVent. (I haven't been able to get a straight answer on compatibility as far as the listings go).

SuperPro is a bit more expensive than SuperVent, although the SuperVent still seems to be a pretty well made product from what I can tell.

-SF

OK, I don't know why I couldn't find it on Home Depot's site before, but I found it now.

They have a kit labled JM6SE3K instead of JSC6SE3K.

I'm going to call Selkirk and find out if it's OK to use this part. I have a feeling it's another one of those times where Home Depot has their own part number, even though the item is the same as sold elsewhere.

-SF

I have just recently built a chimney and ran into similar issues. My chimney is entirely SuperPro, but I did find that the Supervent line at Lowes is basically the same product - as you said, Supervent brand for Home Centers and Superpro brand for hearth stores. The installation manual says both SuperPro and SuperVent and calls out the Superpipe part numbers for for both to make the double wall stove connection.

I have tested Superpro class A connections with Supervent and they will indeed fit together. One technical difference I did see is that Supervent uses really wimpy locking bands. The bands that came with mine are sturdier but either band would work for Superpro/Supervent. Both *seem* to have the same limited lifetime warranty as well but I didn't read all the fine print...

Hope this helps!
-JD

I just spoke to a customer service rep. at Selkirk. She said not to mix and match the two. While they technically will work, she recommends staying with only one series of pipe. She said that Lowes and Menards are the only two US dealers of SuperVent. The 30 degree kit is a special order item for both stores.

Looks like I'll be running to Menards tonight to place my order, and I'll hope to be burning by the end of the month. Both stores are giving me a 3 week ETA on the order.

-SF

Interesting to hear. Did they offer a safety/engineering reason why the two should be used together? Generally, senseful people probably wouldn't do this but, in a pinch, who knows what could happen.

JDfromRI said:
Interesting to hear. Did they offer a safety/engineering reason why the two should be used together? Generally, senseful people probably wouldn't do this but, in a pinch, who knows what could happen.

She didn't come right out and say it exactly, but she hinted at liability being the reason.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.