Dealers giving the $600 Harman rebate..sort of

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPajak

Mar 1, 2007
Amsterdam,NY
My dealer I bought my P68 from is selling the new versions for suprisingly $600 more than they were at the beginning of the year...hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
I wonder if there is something to him raising the price by the exact amount HARMAN is giving for the rebates?..noooooo can't be..must be just my imagination............

appreciate the link but I was being sarcastic...the stove at the beginning of the year sold for $3200..this week it's selling for $3800 but with a $600 rebate..lol.....funny how that works isn't it?.....

HarmanP68 said:
appreciate the link but I was being sarcastic...the stove at the beginning of the year sold for $3200..this week it's selling for $3800 but with a $600 rebate..lol.....funny how that works isn't it?.....

Not nice to be sarcastic or poke fun at people........You might make them cry or hurt their feelings.

Eric

HarmanP68 said:
My dealer I bought my P68 from is selling the new versions for suprisingly $600 more than they were at the beginning of the year...hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???
I wonder if there is something to him raising the price by the exact amount HARMAN is giving for the rebates?..noooooo can't be..must be just my imagination............

That's not right, Why not just say there not excepting the rebate. Dealers like that ruin it for the rest and also the manufactor.

Rat the turd out! send info to harman. See what they have to say about that louse!

just my 2
jay

Last time I checked this is America and you can sell anything for whatever price you want. Suggested retail is just that, a suggestion. Harman isn't going to yell at him or take away special harman dealer points for taking advantage of capitalism. He'll probably get a dealer of the year award.

Shane said:
Last time I checked this is America and you can sell anything for whatever price you want. Suggested retail is just that, a suggestion. Harman isn't going to yell at him or take away special harman dealer points for taking advantage of capitalism.

You are correct, Sir!

Eric

A perfect example of how much HHT will give a chit is this. In 2005 our local Quad dealer blew up a cabin by not properly installing a Quad stove, I mean leveled the thing. We called HHT to inquire about getting the Quad line, surely they'd be looking for a new dealer, right? Wrong. The guy sold 300 units per year for a couple years and the bottom line is what mattered. The guy still operates with impunity selling quads. Never pulls permits, cuts corners at ever step and HHT loves him, thinks he's great. Oh btw I never saw a single price of his less than 500 over suggested retail.

Seeing stuff like this just makes me love Home Depot that much more. Skip the Harmon brand with the rebate and you can probably find something at Home Depot or Lowes that does a better job at 1/2 the price. They even let you return it if you dont like it!

People need to do their research and shop around.

Same idea as buying a car, some people don't question the price
and pay full MSRP+ for them. Others will do their research first,
then negotiate the price down from there.

It really bugs me when I hear people try to negotiate a deal by the monthly
payment rather than the end cost.

The manufacturer is not going to care if the dealer screws somebody
or not as long as a sale is made.

tinkabranc said:
People need to do their research and shop around.

Same idea as buying a car, some people don't question the price
and pay full MSRP+ for them. Others will do their research first,
then negotiate the price down from there.

It really bugs me when I hear people try to negotiate a deal by the monthly
payment rather than the end cost.

The manufacturer is not going to care if the dealer screws somebody
or not as long as a sale is made.

Very well said! Also, it is very important to look at the whole package. I used to own a Volvo bought got rid of it because the parts for that car were hard to get and extremely expensive. On the other side, I have also paid more for stuff because I knew the dealer would back me up if I have a problem with it. I used to have a mechanic that was fantastic. I would drop my car off for an oil change and he would rotate my tires for free. He wasn't the cheapest but I always felt like he would work with me and give me an honest deal. He got promoted and moved though :(

Shane said:
Last time I checked this is America and you can sell anything for whatever price you want. Suggested retail is just that, a suggestion. Harman isn't going to yell at him or take away special harman dealer points for taking advantage of capitalism. He'll probably get a dealer of the year award.

Next time your in line to buy pellets(or what ever) and you see an over inflated price. Remember what you said here!

If his list was $3800 before the rebate, I'd understand. I sir would not buy sh*+ for this guy. Or anyone that does business like him!

Yes its America, But a little honesty goes a long way in the way you do your business. A happy costumer will return again and again, One that thinks he's been screwed will think twice and look else where!!!

If that's the way you would do business, You'd better find a new line of work!

jay

That is the number one problem with small businesses now. They think they can do a crappy job and charge someone a fortune because it's America and that's capitalism at work. That is why the big box stores are taking over. I would run from a dealer that jacks up his price and then gives you a "discount". The big box stores will sell something at a much lower costs than a local dealer and stand by their products as well. The price you see at these stores is the price you pay usually (no games). If these local dealers want to survive, they will need to learn what service and value (not necessarily the cheapest) price means. I have not had good experiences with a lot of dealers around here. They usually want $100.00 just to come out and that's after making you wait 2 weeks for the appointment. To top it off, I see a lot of dealers giving service windows like between 8 and 12 or something like that and you will also need to take time off work to accommodate their schedules. To me, service would include having to make the house call on a weekend if need be. Also, a lot of these stove techs come out to your house without any common parts, such as an auger motor, whatsoever and then want to charge for a 2nd service call when they have to comeback with the part.

Theres a dealer around here that does the exact same thing, if anyone does any shopping around they'll pick up on this. She'll never get my business with her jacked up "sale price" and pellet price gouging. My dealer gave me a fair price and stands behind his product, he wasnt gouging when things were tight and he's alway ready to fix any problem you have. Im not sure who makes more money but I know who Im dealing with.

I still have one up for sale $2600 ,under warranty, has decorative trim kit, excellent condition, and under warranty. It beats the rebate !!!!!

OU812:
Sorry you have bad experiances with small busineeses, but your remarks are offensive. Do you think you will find a stove expert at the big boxes?

People like you only see price and not the big picture. I value all my customers at my small business, please dont use a broad brush like this

Ernie

I am just pointing out that capitalism works both ways. It seems like certain industries charge a lot merely because they can and not for the "extra service" they claim to deliver. Lets face it. A small business cannot effectively compete with a big box store unless it has extra value to offer. Big box stores have lower overall overhead and usually get the best prices through quantity discounts. I am not being "cheap" by any means but I do expect the best value for my money. I remember the dealer at my local dive shop laughing when I asked if I would be able to return a kayak he was selling. The same kayak was being offered online for much less (even with shipping) and a no hassle return policy. Now, if I buy that kayak online am I being cheap or just spending my money wisely? Another good example of a small business being phased out are music stores. They were laughing all the way to the bank when they charged consumers $18.00 for a CD or a service fee for a special order. Now, there are very few CD stores in my area and I can't help but think that online stores like itunes are killing them. This seems to be happening with some of the stove stores. I was quoted almost $180.00 for a new auger motor and was told it would take a week or two to get. I would also have to drive to the stove dealer to pick it up after they received it. I go online and find an auger motor for around $90.00 and even received a toll free number to call if I needed help to install it. On top of that, it was on my doorstep in 3 days. If that is being "cheap" then so be it. Now in this thread, I see comments about marking products up and offering a rebate or that there is nothing wrong with charging the most you can and my feeling is if I cant get the service, I might as well go for the best price. I don't mean to be offensive. I am sure that a lot of local dealers really do go the extra mile to help their customers and do their best to charge a fair price that is beneficial for their business and their customers. I am also sure that a few make housecalls on weekends and fixes the problem the first time at a reasonable price. I just wish I could find more local business's like that. I am all for paying a bit more to a store that pays it's employees well and supports it's community. I am not for paying more for less. If you look at my earlier post, you will see that I said you have to look at the whole package.

OU812 said:
Seeing stuff like this just makes me love Home Depot that much more. Skip the Harmon brand with the rebate and you can probably find something at Home Depot or Lowes that does a better job at 1/2 the price. They even let you return it if you dont like it!

I agree!

I love my englander, love the price I paid for it. And love the feeling of being able to work on it myself.

ernie said:
OU812:
Sorry you have bad experiances with small busineeses, but your remarks are offensive. Do you think you will find a stove expert at the big boxes?

People like you only see price and not the big picture. I value all my customers at my small business, please dont use a broad brush like this

Ernie
Ernie,

You seem to be one of a dieing breed, I wish there were more like you. I know there are many others(yes Eric I mean you). Just wish you were near me. I have to travel to find honesty and ethics hear in CT.

We understand that you have to make a buck to stay in business. And these times are hard enough. Having great service is worth paying more for. Give us a fair deal and will keep coming to you.

I solute you and all the honest small business men(and women) out there.

just my 2
Jay

HarmanP68 said:

Did you ever consider if the $600 was for a price increase for the new inventory for this year? Most of the time you will see fluctuation in prices at the beginning of the year. Just a thought....

Did the prices increase again already? I thought they just went up in August..

Kinsman I dont think he meant you, you seem to be honest and have a good reputation among the folks here, but he's referring to the dealers with exclusive territories that squeeze every last cent out of the consumer, because they can. I found a good dealer and will gladly pay a little more for the service he offers. I also met a dealer while I was looking that was looking to get every cent she could because she saw demand soar, those dealers give the good dealers a bad name.

weatherguy said:
Kinsman I dont think he meant you, you seem to be honest and have a good reputation among the folks here, but he's referring to the dealers with exclusive territories that squeeze every last cent out of the consumer, because they can. I found a good dealer and will gladly pay a little more for the service he offers. I also met a dealer while I was looking that was looking to get every cent she could because she saw demand soar, those dealers give the good dealers a bad name.

I did mean Eric, He's a good one. Did I word that wrong??

I meant good really!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.