Dealing with wood moisture - dry inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Some of our wood is too wet - hard to get the fire going, having to sit with the door cracked too long when starting up cold (and dirty glass).
Much of our wood is pretty large splits (~6-7" log split in half or eqivalent size of rounds etc)
I have some space on the hearth to keep some extra wood - maybe 2 days worth in addition to what's in the firebox
for immediate use.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone thinks I'd get it much dryer if I resplit smaller (gonna get a Fiskars and try to help out -right now I'm lucky if I can even hit the wood 1st try) and had it by the stove for a couple days ahead
or is that much time not really useful.
Anyone do this?

A few days by the stove helps damp wood (surface moisture), but won't do much for unseasoned wood (cellular moisture). Resplitting will help, especially for later in the winter - the wood will continue to dry right through the season (by the stove or not) so split as much as you can as soon as you can. Try to supplement it with very dry pallet/lumber scraps, or the top sections of any standing-dead trees you can harvest (which can sometimes be ready to burn right away).

branchburner said:
A few days by the stove helps damp wood (surface moisture), but won't do much for unseasoned wood (cellular moisture).
I somewhat agree, but I'd argue that it will season significantly faster (all the way through) being close to the stove, assuming near the stove is warm/hot and pretty dry. Wood is constantly seeking equilibrium with it's environment. The greater the difference (internal to external), the faster it will reach equilibrium. That's not to say a wet piece of oak will dry out (to the core) overnight being next to the stove, but it will certainly season significantly faster than it would if it were sitting outside in the wood pile.

Wet1 said:
branchburner said:
A few days by the stove helps damp wood (surface moisture), but won't do much for unseasoned wood (cellular moisture).
I somewhat agree, but I'd argue that it will season significantly faster (all the way through) being close to the stove, assuming near the stove is warm/hot and pretty dry. Wood is constantly seeking equilibrium with it's environment. The greater the difference (internal to external), the faster it will reach equilibrium. That's not to say a wet piece of oak will dry out (to the core) overnight being next to the stove, but it will certainly season significantly faster than it would if it were sitting outside in the wood pile.

Sounds like a good excuse for an experiment -
I'll get a couple of samples, weigh them at work (work in a lab and have acurate balances) - dry some by the stove and some in the drying oven - see what happens. Probably should do it later on though - not really crankin the stove yet obviously.

If you have it stored inside, get a dehumidifier and a fan on a timer - airflow will help dry it out, and the dehumidifier will keep you from molding up the house.

No, we have it in a woodshed - only talking about bringing in a few days worth. Seeing as we usually are try to add humidity during the burning season I don't suppose it should be a problem...

YES. Split smaller, and bring it inside. With warm dry winter air, you'll see a great deal of drying happening over just a two week period. It will start much easier, but the deep-down moisture will still be there. Don't think that you'll get a years worth of drying done this way, but it does help enough to be able to notice the difference.

Before I figured out to get wood a year in advance, I would stand wood on end in front of the stove and let it bake, turning now and then. A huge pain, but it helps. I have also set wood directly on top of the stove, but quit doing that when I left it too long and one piece actually developed flames. I guess it was dry enough.

I love how wood burners are always experimenting. This is the American spirit that made this country great.

szmaine said:
I'll get a couple of samples, weigh them at work (work in a lab and have acurate balances) - dry some by the stove and some in the drying oven - see what happens. Probably should do it later on though - not really crankin the stove yet obviously.

Great idea - you could also do a test on how small splits dry versus a big hunk, and then... well, we could make plenty of work for you here!

szmaine said:
Wet1 said:
branchburner said:

Sounds great, but make sure you add one or two controls as well (pieces left outside in the elements).

Status
Not open for further replies.