December 3rd and just finished 10th bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
It is been an unbelievably mild fall here this year. I am just finishing my 10th bag of pellets. I don't keep records of what my past utilization has been but by now, in normal year, I would think I would have used close to a ton already.

Temps today still in the mid 50's and in the 60's by Monday.

I think when the weather finally does change we are going to go from one extreme to another!

even up here in north central maine it is unseasonably warm.

i can tell that and it's my first winter here.
just started being below freezing three or so nights a week now.

i haven't crossed the one bag a day line yet. soon though.
stove is off and passive solar is doing it's job.
we have a nice direct southern exposure windows all along our house.

I too haven't got to the one bag a day yet. Cooler nights have kicked in so I am getting 2 days to a bag. Just dumped bag 15 in this morning.

If this keeps up I might loose my pig status! :red:

Same here, I have not finished my 4th bag yet (Independance). Although my P stove is only supplemental, last year at this time I was well over 15 bags with a much hotter pellet (Somerset)

On bag 10 myself. Been using a Woodstove (New- 1st year with it) for the most part. The Quad will kick on once or twice a night when it gets around 30*-40*. Have not cleaned it yet (Looks terrible -Been neglected while I hook up my Pellet furnace and Feed the woodstove).

I would be close to the 30 bag mark by now. The math I have seen so far, is the woodstove has reduced consumption by 2/3. But the temps are not that cold and I only expect a 20%-30% reduction. Any more than that and I will be extremely happy.

Hate to say it, but I am ready for the Cold weather to come. ;-P

I`ve burned 37 bags so far , more than last year but my fuel oil consumption is less this year too.

On bag 14 here myself. Oil hot water baseboard has only kicked on a couple times because we haven't left the stove on overnight yet. I have also turned the oil hot water baseboard on a few times for about 5 minutes on the few colder nights we have had just to get the water flowing.

just dumped bag 20 in the hopper
oil burner hasn't kicked in yet, only for hot water....
got to love it.......1st year with pellets....20 years burning wood...

The local guy that has always been pretty good at reading tea leaves sees a pretty moderate winter for us here. About time. The last three or four have been brutal.

We haven't had our typical cold snap our here but we have been around average so I'm a little behind "pace" (15 bags per stove) but not way behind.....

our local weather guru says above normal temp for the whole month of December

BrotherBart said:
The local guy that has always been pretty good at reading tea leaves sees a pretty moderate winter for us here. About time. The last three or four have been brutal.

Hope they are right! We could use a mild winter for a change!

Rooscooter said:
We haven't had our typical cold snap our here but we have been around average so I'm a little behind "pace" (15 bags per stove) but not way behind.....

I like, like your avatar or something.

On bag 25 here in central Pa. Temps the last few nights were in the low 20's Not much insulation in my old house, I'll remedy that next summer.

On bag 30 tonight. Probably would have save 8-10bags if I reinstalled my t-stat.

What I've burned is in my sig :)

thedude110 said:
Rooscooter said:

I like, like your avatar or something.

lol!

Ya know, I was eye balling my stash today. I bet I'm getting close to 30 bags in or so, started with 2 tons and there is a significant dent. I thought the second 'in the living space' stove would mean less, maybe not!

Added a stove down in the man cave this year. Consumption def increased. Not sure how many, thinkin 30ish.

Supposed to get to -1 and then -10 here in Montana this week. I get a burn of about a half ton per month.

Sissy's

We just put the boats away dor the winter, been very mild and wet I feel it's only a matter of time before we go from the 50's to the 20's.
I have burned mine just to make sure there was nothing wrong with the stove, maybe 2 bags so far.

Threerun said:
Supposed to get to -1 and then -10 here in Montana this week. I get a burn of about a half ton per month.

Sissy's

I understand that if you burned more than that your igloo would melt ..... (one bear making a fast retreat .... :) ) .

SmokeyTheBear said:
Threerun said:

Sissy's

I understand that if you burned more than that your igloo would melt ..... (one bear making a fast retreat .... :) .
Thats funny sh*t right there!

SmokeyTheBear said:
Threerun said:

Sissy's

I understand that if you burned more than that your igloo would melt ..... (one bear making a fast retreat .... :) ) .

And you tell me to behave? Geez! :lol: Trouble maker! ;-P

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don't ya have a tree to go tap or something? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.