December greenhouse harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, the backside (road side) looks like a cottage. I was lucky to get some old growth cedar rough shakes for this project. They are aging very nicely now.

inside_greenhouse_web.jpg IMG_0193web.jpg

Won't be long now before 2016 plants are getting started.

Reactions: iamlucky13
Thanks! In the cooler weather, yes. It's pretty easy. I just give the tomato plant a gentle shake daily. Our cucumbers do a pretty good job of self pollinating. The eggplants need a bit more manual pollinating.

Thanks!!

Wow, that is a beautiful setup. I like the pics of your cedar shakes, too, it's amazing.

So you can pollinate the tomatoes by hand just by giving them a daily shake? I didn't plant any more after our initial fruitless attempt at greenhouse tomatoes, because I read that you need to buzz them a few times a day with an electric toothbrush to simulate the vibrations from a pollinating insect's wing, and that seemed a little crazy. Do the eggplants require more shaking, or do you have to physically move pollen around?

Thanks. Yes, tomatoes are easy to pollinate. Eggplants are later and by then our greenhouse is wide open. There seem to be enough pollinators around then to take care them. However, if the greenhouse was closed or had screens then yes, I would probably hand pollinate them. A small watercolor paintbrush works fine for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.