December to remember

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Especially after last year, this December has been pretty amazing. Spread a little stone I scored off Craigslist this week, stacked a little wood, enjoyed a bombing sunset. Hope you guys had as pleasant a day and hope winter is this nice.

Attachments

• 121111 heap.jpg
    121111 heap.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 701
  • 121111 stacks.jpg
    121111 stacks.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 706
  • 121111 glows.jpg
    121111 glows.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 697
Beautiful lot and view! Love the sunset.

Looks good. Looks like you have the machines for the big stuff.

basswidow said:
Beautiful lot and view! Love the sunset.

Thanks. As my wife would say, we bought the house for the view, the view with your back to the house :lol:

Boom Stick said:
Looks good. Looks like you have the machines for the big stuff.

They've both been around the block a few times but get the job done. When I get done with my property, I'll find myself a nice low hour 30 year old machine, pamper it and park it in the garage.

It was pretty nice in my little S/W corner of Connecticut also......great day for working outside....stacked a little more wood, then had to move on to more pressing house chores

SolarAndWood said:
Especially after last year, this December has been pretty amazing. Spread a little stone I scored off Craigslist this week, stacked a little wood, enjoyed a bombing sunset. Hope you guys had as pleasant a day and hope winter is this nice.

Solar great pic of the sunset. That shoulder season wood I cut was going in what I call the Solar pile, I look here and see your stacking! :grrr:

zap

zapny said:
I look here and see your stacking! :grrr:

Ha, I don't think anyone that looks at your stacks would call my work today stacking. My goal is to get the heap cleared up so I can get a retaining wall and some drainage in before scrounging season starts in the Spring.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
I look here and see your stacking! :grrr:

Ha, I don't think anyone that looks at your stacks would call my work today stacking. My goal is to get the heap cleared up so I can get a retaining wall and some drainage in before scrounging season starts in the Spring.

How long do you give the hemlock & pine to season before burning? The stacks look good to me, if I tried to stack like Sav most of the stacks would be down.

zap

Dries quick, maybe March? Definitely ready next Fall.

Nice work SolarAndWind. Looks like you had a great day. The weather was nice with the sun out the way it was. Then the wind picked up around here and it got a little cooler. But not too bad. I have not been to Syracuse in a while either. I use to live in North Syracuse, just north of Taft Rd. Syracuse was a cool place to live. That was back in the early 90s though. Man, how time flies when your having fun.

This was the scene a year ago...a little cool breeze was a ok with me today.

Attachments

• 121010 covered heap.jpg
    121010 covered heap.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 563
You are right Solar. Big difference this year vs. last year. Warm November and December for sure with just a few chilly days mixed in for good measure.

Had a nice partially sunny day here too, but like Gasifier, the wind picked up and made it cooler. Got to almost 45.
Got the chains put on the tractor......finally. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :lol:

Looks like a perfect day to work on the woodpile! I've been wanting to for a couple of weekends but life keeps getting in the way!

Very productive use of the good weather.
Nice to have the great view while working
Wood looks ready to burn.
Nice stacks!
None of us compare our stacks to BWsav or zap anymore they win hands down :) . Quantity or quality

Yea, we have not even had any snow yet. I still do not have the plow on the ATV, looks like it is warming up again this week.

bogydave said:
Wood looks ready to burn.
Nice stacks!

Thanks Dave. With the exception of the Oak, the heap and the stacks are all burnable but will have to wait patiently another year or two. There is 6 cord in the second chance shed and 8 cord in the burn shed ahead of it.

Mild here in ye olde Southeast as well. Not that I am necessarily complaining, mind you, but we'll eventually "pay" for all this mild weather. It will probably turn out to be one of those winters that the anthropogenic global warming folks cite as proof of man-made, hydrocarbon induced GW...and one the skeptics use to "prove" you can't predict climate! Reality is proably somewhere in the middle.

In any event, this year has been easier on the wood shed, but it's been hell on my supply of Super Cedars! :lol:

Pagey said:
In any event, this year has been easier on the wood shed, but it's been hell on my supply of Super Cedars! :lol:

The big cat stove really shines in this weather. Been burning 24/7 since the end of September with full loads of punk, junk, shorties and uglies. Which is good because last year they got buried and I have a pile of them.

SolarAndWood said:
Pagey said:

The big cat stove really shines in this weather. Been burning 24/7 since the end of September with full loads of punk, junk, shorties and uglies. Which is good because last year they got buried and I have a pile of them.

That's a good thought, Solar. I should probably load up some of that stuff from the barn this week and bring it home. The firebox on the Endeavor is not always conducive to such, so dad ends up burning a lot of the uglies in his Fisher. Somewhere in the back of the barn I have some stuff that's C/S/S since 12-08. Should be "popcorn fart dry," as I've read somewhere on here. :coolgrin:

SolarAndWood said:
This was the scene a year ago...a little cool breeze was a ok with me today.

I'm gonna hate the first storm we get, warm again this week so we will get heavy lake effect it's just a matter of time.

zap

You are sure getting good weather for processing fire wood, cool & dry.
We just got 4 - 5" of new wet stuff on top a it raining all day yesterday.
They even had Anchorage Airport shut down last night.
Enjoy the good weather, maybe you'll going to have a mild dry winter :)

Had mid 40's today. Really nice out there and coat unzipped. Wednesday rain for sure. Thursday predicted 48 degrees! Friday predicted 33 degrees. btw, 33 is the normal high for Friday.

It was just cold enough that I had to break up the stone before I spread it yesterday morning. Frozen and dry is all good with me. If this keeps up, I am going to go out to the farm and skid logs instead of urban scrounging in the Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.