Decent homeowner level saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Gold

Feb 6, 2013
OK, don't run me off here. I know what people tend to think about the lower-end "homeowner" saws. But that's what I'm looking for, so maybe someone can offer some advice?

I currently have a 30-year-old 38cc Maccat which a buddy gave me. It needed a carb rebuild and has worked like a champ for several years. But the bar and chain are worn and it's become hard to start, so I figure it's time to replace it.

So - I'm looking for a decent, reasonably priced 16-18" bar saw that I'll use probably 6 times a year to drop small trees, trim limbs, clean up after storms, etc. We burn wood, but it comes cut and split, so I'm not out there running the saw for hours at a time.

I'm a tool guy and I know that you get what you pay for. But my needs are modest , so I don't need pro grade.

And no, I don't want to rent -- the extra cost aside, I'd like the convenience of having this tool close at hand.

With that all out on the table, any suggestions?

I had an 18", 40ish CC craftsman (poulan) that I ran for years. I thought it was a great little saw - lightweight and I really liked the tooless tensioner it had. Picked it up at sears, as a demo or return for half price ($60).

So - I'm looking for a decent, reasonably priced 16-18" bar saw that I'll use probably 6 times a year to drop small trees, trim limbs, clean up after storms, etc. We burn wood, but it comes cut and split, so I'm not out there running the saw for hours at a time.

A Wal Mart Poulan will do all that.

Reactions: WriteNoob
Do you have a budget in mind? It doesn't take much of a saw to meet the needs you described, so it's probably going to hinge on how much you feel like spending.

Echo, but Bigg Red is also correct.

It sounds like you need to stay away from the MS251 with its single bar nut.

I agree with others - most any saw will fit your needs. I've had multiple 42cc and 38cc Poulans (1 branded as Craftsman) and are decent saws for low cost. This site sells refurbs at low cost. http://www.vminnovations.com/Browse...d-and-Garden/Power-Tools/Chainsaws/Index.html
I would be ready to adjust the carb H-L mix screws. Either have the special tool or pull H-L screws and dremel a slot for a flat screwdriver.

It sounds like you need to stay away from the MS251 with its single bar nut.
I've never used an MS251, but my little Husq T435 has a single bar nut, and has been no problem at all. It made me a little unhappy about the saw, at first, but it has never come loose.

For the uses described, I like a top-handle saw, but they're not the best choice if you only plan to have one saw. You need a rear-handle saw.

I'll second any vote for Echo. I've owned two, along with plenty of other Echo OPE, and I've not been dissatisfied with any of it.

I've never used an MS251, but my little Husq T435 has a single bar nut, and has been no problem at all. It made me a little unhappy about the saw, at first, but it has never come loose.

For the uses described, I like a top-handle saw, but they're not the best choice if you only plan to have one saw. You need a rear-handle saw.

I'll second any vote for Echo. I've owned two, along with plenty of other Echo OPE, and I've not been dissatisfied with any of it.

I have 4 echo OPE products, my dad has 3 that are used commercially, and my grandpa has a few 20+ year old units. His line trimmer just won't quit.

Dolmar 421, Makita 6421 (used from Home Depot rental store, awesome saw - maybe more than you need) but that saw will spoil you for ~$275 can't go wrong.

That is ALOT of saw there, good value but a monster.

Yea, the Makita's from HD are beasties. Price comparison to homeowner level saws there is no equal. The Makita's rip. As far as wood processing, they will far outperform any homeowner level saw and at a better price that most.

I just got a new Dolmar 351 going to use for limbing out trees. The price was good at $280 but the jury is still out. I have not used it enough to form an opinion. I wanted a smaller saw for limbing and smaller work. The 6421's are A lot of saw!

Last edited:
Based on the OP's started old saw the dolkita is way more than he needs regardless of price.

Reactions: Jon1270
I've never used an MS251, but my little Husq T435 has a single bar nut,
There is a thread currently running that addresses the issue for the Stihl. It appears that the single bar nut/bolt is imbedded into plastic. This may not be a wide spread issue, but we do know of at least one failure in our little hearth group.
Stihl is trying to do right by the customer with a replacement 271.

Reactions: Ashful
Wow, great responses. Many thanks.

My budget is as cheap as I can go and still get a decent product.

What I don't want is a saw that's going to be a pain in the butt to start, or that has a lot of cheesy parts that are going to break easily, or that's going to require fiddling with the carb adjustments (I've never mastered that).

I've been leaning towards the Stihl 170 because the brand generally has a good rep and the price on this saw $180 is great.
The thread here about the bar nut gave me pause, however. I like the echo, although they are more expensive. But maybe worth it. I'm leaning away from the Poulan, mostly because it seems much heavier than the others.

I feel dirty even suggesting it, but if you want one saw that will do everything, for occasional/homeowner use... you're not going to beat the Stihl 290. Arguably one of the most popular and reliable saws ever made.

There... I typed it. Now I have to go wash my hands.

Wow, great responses. Many thanks.

My budget is as cheap as I can go and still get a decent product.

What I don't want is a saw that's going to be a pain in the butt to start, or that has a lot of cheesy parts that are going to break easily, or that's going to require fiddling with the carb adjustments (I've never mastered that).

I've been leaning towards the Stihl 170 because the brand generally has a good rep and the price on this saw $180 is great.
The thread here about the bar nut gave me pause, however. I like the echo, although they are more expensive. But maybe worth it. I'm leaning away from the Poulan, mostly because it seems much heavier than the others.
Your reasons here are exactly why I like my CS400. starts easily fit the past 3 years and I haven't touched the carb, all seasons on the same settings.

Reactions: zzr7ky
I feel dirty even suggesting it, but if you want one saw that will do everything, for occasional/homeowner use... you're not going to beat the Stihl 290. Arguably one of the most popular and reliable saws ever made.

There... I typed it. Now I have to go wash my hands.

Saved for posterity. >>

Gotta agree with echo and the price ( maybe more of a saw than you want) for the 59.8 cc cs590 can't be beat. The ms290 is my personal favorite even over the ( dare I say it) 361

Reactions: zzr7ky and Ashful
Question about bar length.... There's a smaller echo (CS-310) with a 14" bar. Cheaper and lighter than the CS-352 or CS-400. Again, given my plans for limited use, would that be big enough? Or am I going to be seriously limited by it's size?

My father in law has a cs-310. It's a good saw but lends to be a bit anemic in anything over 12"..... The 400 is a great middle weight, not to heavy, maneuverable..... I have cut up to 28" with an 18" on the 400 and use it with a 16" now for limbing since I got the cs-670.

I had an 18", 40ish CC craftsman (poulan) that I ran for years. I thought it was a great little saw - lightweight and I really liked the tooless tensioner it had. Picked it up at sears, as a demo or return for half price ($60).

X2. I ran a Craftsman/Poulan for over ten years, an I'm sure it would still run well, if I put some time and parts into it. For a few times a year, it would last quite some time, for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.