decent looking boiler or wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virvis

Nov 27, 2007
central PA
I'm considering a wood fired boiler or wood stove to assist with main heat. I need to present something that looks decent to get the OK from wifey. This is something that will be in the corner of our family room so it should be "esthetically pleasing".

House with basement is approx. 4000 sq ft. built 4 years ago and is instulated well and fairly tight. I have options to either duct into existing return for forced hot air or install flexible water piping for radiant heat under the main floor (preferred).

Any websites with photos are appreciated.

thanks!

There's a huge difference between wood stoves and boilers, and for that matter, between furnaces and boilers as well.

Here's a pretty nice looking furnace. There are also boilers with glass doors, but the only ones I've seen are from Europe and I don't have any links. I doubt you'd want a gasification boiler in your living space.

http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=17&Id=377

Eric,

I'm forgetting the name but wasn't there a fireplace looking appliance which had a set of coils to run hydronic heat systems that you saw at one of your trade shows. I know I posted something about it but don't have the time to dig for the post.

I'm thinking that might be a way to have baseboard or radiant heat with a viewable flame. But, not sure of the efficiency or other specs.

Ok I found it.

Hydo-to-heat Convertor

Pricing seems to be in the middle range of more than natural draft solid fuel boilers but less than upper end gasifiers. From the looks of it, these are like the water jacket OWB's but in an internal setting. These are made in Belgium. I'm thinking that there would be pretty high wood consumption with a full burn needed to keep the combustion temps up with the water circulating. Or, maybe a less than clean burn at other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.