Decent stash of kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
Cut up all the small stuff I had kept from the tree I took down in my yard. Got around half a cord out of the limbs and a nice pile of small stuff for kindling. Easy work when nothing needs split!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 214
Cut up all the small stuff I had kept from the tree I took down in my yard. Got around half a cord out of the limbs and a nice pile of small stuff for kindling. Easy work when nothing needs split!
nice, neat stacks, Tri! I keep all the stuff off of our jobs that is 2" and bigger for firewood....makes a lot of extra work, but those smaller 'rounds' are nice for morning start-ups in the stove, also good for stuffing into the gaps in the woodstack (and in the stove)!

nice, neat stacks, Tri! I keep all the stuff off of our jobs that is 2" and bigger for firewood....makes a lot of extra work, but those smaller 'rounds' are nice for morning start-ups in the stove, also good for stuffing into the gaps in the woodstack (and in the stove)!

Thanks Scotty! Since this is all from that sugar maple I think I'm going to give it a year before I burn it. I'm not sure how fast small rounds like that would dry? Most of them are around 1.5" to up to about 3" rounds.

Reactions: ScotO
I've got a ton of 1-3 inch stuff cut and numerous piles of branches I keep saying I'm going to build a rack to cut em up in bulk. Oddly enough, they seem to dry pretty slow, even when cut and stacked. Mix of Norway maple, red oak, and ash. Need to get the rest cut but life has gotten in the way and based on how quickly the tick tubes I out out emptied, they're just acting as mouse breeding grounds for now.

Cross stacked rounds on the ends ! First time I've seen that. Looks good .

Wood stacks look great. They have the "well maintained " look :)

Reactions: Trilifter7
I used to keep everything but I got 1/2 cord of stuff 1-2" and the pile never seems to go down. If it was sugar maple or oak I'd still keep it though.

I had a sugar maple that saved my house when a cherry tree hit it. It took the hit, but was mortally wounded. I kept every limb I could from such a hero. Turns out those <2" pieces were GREAT for fire starting. I'd put three on an angle on the bottom and two regular splits E/W on the top. Crack the door and if from coals, fire took 5-10 minutes to resurrect. If from a cold start, 20-30 minutes and I could be in business. You've got a beautiful thing there.

Came down in 5/10, and I was burning it by December, no problem. But that was one HOT year. July or August never dropped below the high 80's. I'm sure you remember.

--/--/--/-
-/--/--/--

Thanks Scotty! Since this is all from that sugar maple I think I'm going to give it a year before I burn it. I'm not sure how fast small rounds like that would dry? Most of them are around 1.5" to up to about 3" rounds.
one thing about rounds, no matter how big or small, they take forever to dry. I don't sweat it if those smaller rounds sizzle for a few minutes in the stove, though. They steam off relatively quickly. So they get put in the stacks wherever I can fit 'em. I split everything that is over 4-5" diameter at least once. That just goes to show you that C/S/S wood seasons much faster than wood that is left in rounds.......

Very nice, TriLifter. Once you have enough split cords, it's nice to just stack some small rounds.

Cross stacked rounds on the ends ! First time I've seen that. Looks good .

Wood stacks look great. They have the "well maintained " look :)

Thanks BG, I try to keep them as clean as I can.
I wasn't sure how they would stack at first but they are actually pretty solid. I don't think I'd stack an entire cord with rounds but for the top half it works.

Very nice, TriLifter. Once you have enough split cords, it's nice to just stack some small rounds.
Thanks Mitch! It sure is nice in this heat to be able to skip a step and just stack. Now that I'm ahead enough I need to stop this summer processing and wait till fall! Lol

Just like Scotty says, don't sweat it if a few rounds here and there aren't dried out, that moisture will boil off quickly enough. I use some small rounds for firestarter, sometimes I hear them sizzle a bit in the beginning, but after a few minutes they're good. Pile looks great by the way!

Dead branches will be ready but I would give fresh stuff more time. I haven't been saving the real small stuff but still will take down to three inches. For smaller kindling I've been using Red Pine; Not much sap, and burns like crazy to get the load going in a hurry. :cool:

Rounds that small you won't have a problem with. They dry quite well.

Thanks guys! I still think I'm going to give it a year before burning it. I've got a whole pallet of small uglies that are well seasoned to burn this year.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
On a side note... Looks like I'll be moving that stack of kindling sooner than later to make room for more wood!!! My neighbor is having 3 trees cut down, 2 silver maples and a Norway maple, and he's giving me all the wood!! Looks to be around 3-4 cords worth I'm going to have to find room for. I might just stack all the rounds from them on a pallet and wait until this fall to split them.
Here's pics of 2 of them. The third is half dead already so might burn some of it sooner.

image.jpg image.jpg

Also took some pics today with the stacks all cleaned up.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This last pic where I just stacked the kindling in the Rick is where I'm going to pile all of my neighbors wood on pallets in rounds for now.

image.jpg

I'll probably move the kindling up to the front part of the stacks in front of the fence in the far right of the second pic.

Very impressive;)

Trilifter, you are now in the pro ranks! You also have a really good neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.