Decent trade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Just traded the fabrication of a truck bumper for about 40 cord of log length Doug Fir, Lodgepole, and some Aspen. Delivered. First load just showed up. To buy a pre-fab bumper of the same style (Ranchhand legend) would cost $1300. So $32.50 per cord. Sound like a good deal?

LOL Thats a strong buy!

I hope we do OK. The material cost is only a 1/3rd. of the pre-fab cost, the rest is labor. But how much time would I spend harvesting 40 cord worth of standing trees? I'm already thinking about building furniture and rails out of the smaller stuff.

40 cords would take a year for me to do part-time spring and fall. I think you done very well anything under 50 a cord is very good.

So 10 years of wood in log form - delivered - for $450 material cost and a few hours of fab work! Yeah, I think you did OK on that deal.

Jags said:
So 10 years of wood

Where do I sign up for the 4 cord a year program?

Solar, you beat me to that reply. I did about 9 cord last season, and even with the BKK, I still plan on 6 or so. I'll be happy if I end up with 5 years worth for myself ( I give some away).

Nice deal - how much wood would you trade for the bumper off a chevy van?

Sounds great to me I would have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy

Beetle-Kill said:
and even with the BKK, I still plan on 6 or so.

So many variables...I plan on 8 and have 15 ready.

Solar, yeah I say 6 cord, but I burn from mid Sept. to the end of may at least. Probably go through at least 8 again, hope not. The BKK is not a magical heat machine, but it ought to do better than the Timberline. And no Tony H, a van bumper won't cut it. But if you head this way, I'll set you up.

SolarAndWood said:
Beetle-Kill said:

I plan on 12 and have well over 20 ready....hope to come in at 8 this year!

I plan on 3 and have 20 or more.

Sounds like our Colorado friend came up with a really nice trade. Congratulations.

I'm falling behind right now. 6 for next year, and only 2 so far for this year. I'm working this thing bassackwards.

Beetle, that sounds like an heck of deal to me IMHO. You probably will enjoy the fab work anyway. So hopefully it is a win win for you. Wow 40 cords!

SolarAndWood said:
Beetle-Kill said:

Sorry guys - I was just using the "average" of 4-6 cords per year.

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:
Beetle-Kill said:

Sorry guys - I was just using the "average" of 4-6 cords per year.

Wow thats the avg....

Hey gents, the guy delivering the trees has made 5 trips so far. probably about 9-10 cord worth. He's using a dump trailer for transport cause the area he's cutting in is pretty tight. But he said he has at least another 700 or so trees to remove. How many cord is that? I'd say they'll average 10" in diam. Holy Crap!

Beetle-Kill said:
How many cord is that? I'd say they'll average 10" in diam. Holy Crap!

I think that will fall into the hella-cord range. Its definenatly more than a penta-cord. %-P

No matter how you cut it - its gonna be a BUNCH of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.