Decided to tear into the Quad 1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
With heating duties being divided between the Prodigy and the Advantage right now, I decided to rip the quad down and clean it well and service it.

Removed the side panels as well as the heat exchanger covers, the top and any and all other opening that would allow access.

Cleaned and vacuumed the fire box all out and gave the aluminum heat exchangers a good brushing out too.

Vacuumed out the mechanical cabinet real well and then cleaned the fins on both the draft helper blower and the room air fan as both had a lot of crap in them.

The draft helper blower has always made a rattling noise from the day it was new so I decided to remove it from the stove and have a peek see as to why.

Found that the electrical coil assembly was simply rattling on the frame of the motor.

(Small squirrel cage blower that helps feed air to the firepot)

OOOOOK cleaned the motor well and applied some high temp silicone in 4 places around the frame to stop the coil assembly from rattling.

Let the silicone cure a while and reinstalled the blower.

OM MY it is soooo much quieter now than ever before.

The exhaust fan has the two little lube holes so I gave it a couple drops of good high temp oil in each spot.

17 years now and never been lubed before. Hmmmmm probably quit now. :grrr:

There was a small amount of dust and dirt in and around the cabinet but nothing terrible.

Tightened the two bolts that hold the the fire pot into its location in the center bulkhead as they had loosened over time.

Gave things a good vacuum job and a look over.

All seems to be quite well and in good order.

Looks to be ready for another 17 years of service.

The only troubles in 17 years of use (primary heat in a 2400 ft home) has been the failure of the ceramic firepot and a couple of igniters.

I would definately give the Quad a Five Star ***** rating for service and dependability. ;-)

The only negative I can mention is that these stoves tend to be a tad more noisy than some other stoves.

The firpot cleaning rod tended to rattle at certain times but a lead fishing weight hung on the rod took care of that issue.

Bit of a Rube Goldberg fix but I put the weight inside the cabinet on a washer I welded to the rod.

The extra weight stops the rod from vibrating. :)

The quad may not get used now until next winter except maybe a test run to make sure all is well after taking it all apart.

Still need to wipe the glass off is all.

How to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Hmmm this morning I got up on the roof and sprinkled Moss out all over the various parts to kill that crap before it ruins the roof.

Hey, lovely day here as the rain comes down.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.