Decided to try a muffler mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroholic

Feb 17, 2013
Mid-Michigan
So i was bored and have a budding case of CAD. After looking at the saws for a minute I decided I was ready to try a MM on the 290. Took about an hour, including tuning, and WOW!! what a difference. Really, really woke that saw up and it sounds sweet.
Screenshot_2013-08-11-21-05-05.png

Opened both slots a little and added about a 3/8" x 9/16" oval in the dimple. Opened the deflector a little too. Ended up at 1-1/2 out on H and 3/4 on the L. Runs great!

Saw is only 8 months old so there goes the warranty. Oh well, prov probably wouldn't need it anyway.

Reactions: ScotO
Opened both slots a little and added about a 3/8" x 9/16" oval in the dimple. Opened the deflector a little too. Ended up at 1-1/2 out on H and 3/4 on the L. Runs great!
I'm betting it sounds great, too! My favorite part of the muffler mod!!

Big fan of the MM. Look over on AS and some people are going around or over 100% of the original outlet. With some going much bigger!!!

Looks great... Prob sounds great too ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Master Mech's carb tuning 101 video was very helpful. Helped ease the stress of tuning to be able to see a pro in action.

Warrenty not gone. Just don't admit it!!! If u have a problem u will need to buy a stihl muffler off eBay and install it then take in for work.

Reactions: Ashful
Warrenty not gone. Just don't admit it!!! If u have a problem u will need to buy a stihl muffler off eBay and install it then take in for work.

Oh don't worry, I had thought of that. Doubt I'll need it, cut 10 cord so far with 0 issues. I would think that a decent quality saw would break by now if it had a defect. I treat it well, with HP ultra oil, premium gas and ethanol shield and run a touch rich (44:1) to be exact. I also have 6 saws now of which 5 are usable so that helps spread out the wear a bit.

Yes don't think u will need it. More likely for something to happen with them as lean as they come and breathing through a straw.

Reactions: pyroholic
Status
Not open for further replies.