Deciding between PE Summit and Osburn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCredneck

Aug 29, 2011
RDU area NC
I can get a PE summit (open box, never fired) for 1495 plus 225 for surround and trim. The gold door is included. Is this a decision maker? I was leaning Osburn because of price but this is better than that price now. So for around 2300.00 I can have Summit and SS liner. Would you do it? OH, I need a large insert for the area I am heating not to mention long burn time.

NCredneck said:
I can get a PE summit (open box, never fired) for 1495 plus 225 for surround and trim. The gold door is included. Is this a decision maker? I was leaning Osburn because of price but this is better than that price now. So for around 2300.00 I can have Summit and SS liner. Would you do it? OH, I need a large insert for the area I am heating not to mention long burn time.

Doesn't the summit have a larger firebox as well? And isn't the Osburn more expensive than the $1720?

I would go with the Summit.

Yeah the Osburn will be more and the Summit is bigger, just wanted to know if I am overlooking something. Sounds like the value is the Summit with this price but probably comparable stoves I think.

The Osburn 2400 has a 3.2 cu ft fire box so it should be around the same size as the Summit. The Summit sounds like too good of a deal to pass up for that price though.

That is a heckuva deal! Go for it and take lots of pics.

holy crap. That summit is DIRT cheap. Jump on it! Osburn make a good stove but for the price of the summit I think you should jump on it..and post some pictures!

Pics!!!

Andrew

Something is weird here. Is that Summit an insert? The surround and blower comes with the insert. And if it is a free standing stove it ain't gonna work with a surround.

Gotta ask.

Yes its the insert but I was also looking at the Osburn 2400 as an insert. He emailed me a quote and will bring it inside for 89.00 and surround is extra 142.00 and trim is 84.00 so not too bad still. He says its a showroom floor demo, that hasn't been burned in yet. Also, said it has no cosmetic dings or dents...so I am thinking I will get it...I will let you know.

I don't have anything bad too say about the Osburn, but you won't regret buying the Pacific Energy. We bought the PE Super 27 a year and a half ago. We liked it so much that we sold our Vermont Castings coal stove and bought a second Super 27. We looked at the Osburn, Jotel, Harman and others. What sold us on the PE was a friend who has the PE Spectrum. He had owned other wood stoves and said that the PE stoves produce more heat with less wood. We also liked the pedestal and the trap door for ash clean out. It was tempting to buy a stove for half the price but we wanted a stove that we would enjoy for 30 years or more without needing to replace it. We had a Harman 2000 wood/coal combo stove at our old house. It is a good stove but not nearly as efficient as the PE stoves for burning wood. There is no area for secondary burning of the gases.

aroth said:
I don't have anything bad too say about the Osburn, but you won't regret buying the Pacific Energy. We bought the PE Super 27 a year and a half ago. We liked it so much that we sold our Vermont Castings coal stove and bought a second Super 27. We looked at the Osburn, Jotel, Harman and others. What sold us on the PE was a friend who has the PE Spectrum. He had owned other wood stoves and said that the PE stoves produce more heat with less wood. We also liked the pedestal and the trap door for ash clean out. It was tempting to buy a stove for half the price but we wanted a stove that we would enjoy for 30 years or more without needing to replace it. We had a Harman 2000 wood/coal combo stove at our old house. It is a good stove but not nearly as efficient as the PE stoves for burning wood. There is no area for secondary burning of the gases.

Having a newly installed T-5 it's good to hear such positivity about your Super 27! Your stove and mine have the same firebox.. What has your experience been with burn times and anything I should be aware of as to stove operation? I looked at the Super 27's at the dealer and they are very attractive steel stoves particularly with the porcelain enamel finish.. BG has have good experiences with his T-6 along with Certified106.. There has been a few issues with cracked fireboxes but that seems to be an isolated problem and most with the problem have been inserts...

Ray

Next door neighbor has had the Spectrum for about 5 years now. They still love it. In particular they like the long burn times they see burning softwood.

BeGreen said:
Next door neighbor has had the Spectrum for about 5 years now. They still love it. In particular they like the long burn times they see burning softwood.

Can you tell I am anxious to see what this stove can do? lol It has been in the 70-80's and humid here so no burning yet.. Long burns with softwood, that's impressive! Are you talking about Doug Fir? From what I have read it's a very good softwood, there is some here I believe but not real common..Is the spectrum the same size as the Super 27?

Ray

He has been mostly burning big leaf, soft maple up until the end of last season. The Spectrum firebox is the same as the Super27 and T5.

I burn a lot of poplar and slab wood in my Summit Insert. Actually a lot of poplar slabs. It's the real deal as far as long burn times go.

Last winter, we would load up the stove around 10:00 PM and have plenty of heat and hot coals at 6:00 AM. We would load it up again before leaving for work after 7:00 AM and have good heat and hot coals after work at 4:00 PM. I had a problem with knocking the baffle loose by overfilling the stove. A piece of wood pushed under the back of the baffle and lifted it off the air vent in the back of the firebox. When I bought our first stove, the shop did not have the baffle or bricks installed so i didn't realize that i had it set up wrong. When I bought our second stove, I saw a display stove with the bricks and baffle installed and learned that the side brackets with the fluffy insulation need to go under the sides of the baffle to support it. This prevents the baffle from falling, even if knocked loose, and it also prevents air from flowing around the baffle and up the chimney.

aroth said:
Last winter, we would load up the stove around 10:00 PM and have plenty of heat and hot coals at 6:00 AM. We would load it up again before leaving for work after 7:00 AM and have good heat and hot coals after work at 4:00 PM. I had a problem with knocking the baffle loose by overfilling the stove. A piece of wood pushed under the back of the baffle and lifted it off the air vent in the back of the firebox. When I bought our first stove, the shop did not have the baffle or bricks installed so i didn't realize that i had it set up wrong. When I bought our second stove, I saw a display stove with the bricks and baffle installed and learned that the side brackets with the fluffy insulation need to go under the sides of the baffle to support it. This prevents the baffle from falling, even if knocked loose, and it also prevents air from flowing around the baffle and up the chimney.

There should be a pin in the rear fixing the baffle to the secondary air tube, you could fashion a pin with ~ 1/4" bolt/pin

Status
Not open for further replies.