Decision has been made Lopi Declaration insert..now a follow up question about liners.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backemin

Dec 8, 2011
Wisconsin
Well, after much deliberation we've decided to install the Lopi Declaration in my existing masaonry fireplace. Now I have to ask the dreaded question. Liners...smooth or flex? Recomended material /brand? My exixting chimney is 8" flue in great shape, recently rebuilt, not used since. It's going to be 12'6'' from the insert outlet to the top of the chimney. Any suggestions from the experts???? Thanks in advance!

nice fireplace, I like mine! I have a flex liner and about 18ft of chimney. I think smooth is better, but I didnt know better when I put the stove in (before I found this forum). The flex forks just fine for me, cleaning it has never been a problem, I havent had any buildup problems. (thought i glazed it once due to burning very wet wood, all that i had, but looking back on it, pretty sure i didnt).

I would think that by the time you clear the damper even if the flue is a straight shot you will need some flex. My stove shop told me that a lot of people use flex to clear the flue then rigid on up. I have no idea if this is possible. Anyhow I thought the flex was a fairly easy install and it is one piece which is probably good since you cannot see to inspect it once it is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.