Decision made!!! Buying Summit $1425 + tax. Tell me about your wood consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
After looking at everything we've decided to purchase a summit. Hopefully it wont be an overkill for our home. And hopefully we dont have any creoselt (sp?) problems by dampering it down for overnight burns and so it doesnt heat us out of the home.

Anyway tell me about your wood consumption summit owners and all others. What kind of wood, make of stove, size of home, type of wood, how much you use it. Im going to try to use ours as much as possible to keep the furnace from turning on. Im figuring about 4-5 cords per season.

michiganwinters said:
After looking at everything we've decided to purchase a summit. Hopefully it wont be an overkill for our home. And hopefully we dont have any creoselt (sp?) problems by dampering it down for overnight burns and so it doesnt heat us out of the home.

Anyway tell me about your wood consumption summit owners and all others. What kind of wood, make of stove, size of home, type of wood, how much you use it. Im going to try to use ours as much as possible to keep the furnace from turning on. Im figuring about 4-5 cords per season.

$1,425.00 IS A STEAL!!!!!!! Grab it and run!!!!!!
The Summit has EBT, which you can damper down the stove and it will pretty much self regulate itself. You should have no creosote problems burning low overnight. Just get her hot a few times a week to burn any crud. The blower is variable, so just det it as hot as you want for the home. If you get too warm, turn the blower down or off.
I used aboout 3 or 4 cords last year. Don't remember. I started late. December.
I have a Summit insert, heating aprox 2400 sf with almost 3 story ceiling over living room. Heat the entire house well, one ack office room is a lil cooler.
I used my furnace only some morning last year, when I slept in and didn't feel like getting up yet to fill the stove again. Furnace was more set for the gals when they got up for school & work. If it ain't 85 degrees, they be a whining. So they whine alot cause I am comfy at 65-70.
Burn good dry hard wood and you'll be just fine. I burned less than desired wet oak & such last year and still had only a small amount cleaned out of the chimney.
A good hot fire once in a while cleans her out real nice. Not saying overfire, just a good 600-700 once in a while keeps her clean as a whistle for me.
Congrats, you will love that Summit. You don't have to blow yourself out of the house,. But its nice to know on those real cold nights, you have the guts for the glory in that stove.

michiganwinters said:

WHERE DID YOU GET IT FOR THAT PRICE!!!!!!
please tell me is it an insert?

iceman said:
michiganwinters said:

WHERE DID YOU GET IT FOR THAT PRICE!!!!!!
please tell me is it an insert?

No Chit! I paid $2045 for my Summit Insert and everybody here thought that was a great deal.

i was quoted 1705 plus
black door 385
brushed nickel 685 (door)
install 650
liner 500
=================
3302 (give or take with tax )
i could probably get it shipped from your guy and be cheaper!

I was quoted $1750 with 10% ($175) = 1575 - $150 Pacific Energy rebate = $1425 + tax. No thrills all black pedastal, not an insert. So I should buy it this week then. Its a quote from an stove shop located in a very rural area (Lake County).

We do 2000 SF with 3-4 cords with one stove, but we don't worry about the bedrooms upstairs being very warm. We like it cold when we sleep.

I think 3-4 cord HARDWOOD in Wisconsin is about right for me. 1400 square feet, open plan. Fireplace in the middle of the home.

VC Dutchwest here, went thru 6 cords here last winter (oct-apr) NW Wisconsin..

T

First.. Congrats on your up and coming purchase. Just make sure you full line that baby when installing it. I had my Summit connected to a direct connect kit for 2 years and just put in a full liner/insulation 3 weeks ago (created thread about it). When I was using the Summit on the direct connect kit, I was getting a 3-4 hour burn per load using a mix of oak and maple. When testing the full liner for 2 nights a few weeks ago, I got a 5-6 hour burn per load using the same type of wood. Lites easier due to the full liner install as well..

ThePhotoHound said:
Hog -

2,400 SF with 3-4 cord and one stove? How many levels do you have? Is it an open floor plan? What else do you use to move the heat?

Keep in mind I said late start (December). I have 2 stories, fairly open floor plan. LR, kitchen & dining room pretty wide open.
To peak, cathedral ceiling over living room almost 3 stories. upstairs 1/2 is 2 bedrooms & a bathroom between. the other 1/2 open over living room the other 1/2 big loft also open. I use a ceiling fan in kitchen & one over living room to circulate the heat around & back down. I used the fans blowing down. I don't suck it up and to the walls.
The heat gather up high and I find for me pushing back down in center works well. I figure somewhere between 4 and 6 cords running 24/7 and being better seasoned, also the operator having better seasoning also. ;) The ceiling fan over living room really does the trick for me luckily. Will hate when it dies, will take several stages of scaffolding to change it.

CK-1 said:
First.. Congrats on your up and coming purchase. Just make sure you full line that baby when installing it. I had my Summit connected to a direct connect kit for 2 years and just put in a full liner/insulation 3 weeks ago (created thread about it). When I was using the Summit on the direct connect kit, I was getting a 3-4 hour burn per load using a mix of oak and maple. When testing the full liner for 2 nights a few weeks ago, I got a 5-6 hour burn per load using the same type of wood. Lites easier due to the full liner install as well..

Thank you! We are very excited about our decision and may be picking it up tomorrow. Could you please explain what you are talking about with the full liner and direct connect kit. Seem like those are pretty short burn times but maybe you are running it hotter than I will be. Maybe Im not understanding the liner situation because this stove is going into a new construction and is a freestanding unit. I will be using black pipe (possibly doublewall) then at the cathedral trasition I will be using a double wall insulated class A pipe (possibly security). So maybe Im just not getting it so could you please explain as we want the longest most effiecient burn times possible. :D

You have it right. CK was mistaken in thinking you were purchasing an insert.
With that free standing model, you are correct with stove pipe or double wall inside then class A up through the ceiling and out the roof.

hog.... off topic but what kind of liner are you using with your summit

iceman said:
hog.... off topic but what kind of liner are you using with your summit

Simpson Dura Liner. 5' S.S. flex from stove collar to first flue tile, 22' Insulated double wall from flex to 1-1/2' out the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.