Decision made , much thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
After careful consideration and much reading and research on this forum we have decided on the Jotul f500 over the VC Encore or Defiant. Just too many issues with the VCs not to mention more $. We are going with the clear glass version with the top griddle. It will sit on a AJ Jotul line pad made to center the stove and allow clearance on the side door Will also allow some room for tools or a wood holder on other side of stove..Pad is natural Vermont slate on a 6" black wood pedestal. Draft should be good as it will go up 4' through double wall before exiting through the exterior wall and then up 24'. There is a window about 5' from the side load door so I figure I can crack it and leave the load door cracked when starting it up. Have two cords of aged oak ready to go. Installation is scheduled for early \November to allow for permits etc. Thanks to all who gave advise.

Reactions: stovelark
Nice. That is a pretty stove.

Good choice Bruce, looking forward to pictures of the install.

I have the F500 Oslo and it has worked great. Only complaint is that I use the front to load and unload and ash falls out pretty easy. Other then that it heats my 3000 square foot home well.

I am sure there are many other great brands but I went with the Jotul on looks. 6 months of the year it is just a piece of furniture.

Great choice Bruce. She will keep you warm, just remember good dry seasoned wood is a requirement.

Awesome. Post pics!

Bruce, noted you are going with the SE F500 with clear glass as opposed to the classic F500 with Jotul's trademark gothic arch design. That version has been pretty popular so far this season, but the classic design doesn't have much to worry about yet... Do your small break-in fires, burn good dry seasoned wood, the Jotul will take care of the rest.

i will saw the clear glass model in person thought it looked sharp. Just hope the tarps stay on my woodpile during the hurricane.

Good choice . . .

-- As noted, using the front door often means cleaning up more ash.

-- After a few weeks of use take a 10 mm socket and open up the dog house and liberally apply graphite powder to the air sliding mechanism.

-- Good, well seasoned wood is paramount.

-- When using the ash pan it is sometimes useful to take a flat stove shovel and clean out any ash that may drop behind the ash pan . . . otherwise you may not be able to fully close the ash pan door or it may be open a bit.

-- Stove and stove pipe thermometers are useful . . . helps to let you know when you can dial down the air (which I tend to do in quarter mark increments) to achieve that secondary burn. Most owners report the stove burns best at 400-600 degrees F on average. Some go a bit higher, some a bit lower . . . but this seems to be the sweet spot.

-- If you have issues with the first few burns (and many folks do when they are trying out a new stove) ask questions . . . we love to seem much smarter than we actually are (well that's the case with me at least.)

Reactions: Bruce P
Status
Not open for further replies.