Decision made! We're going pellet! Have Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
I made a post a couple of days ago asking if one stove would be enough to heat our entire house and we've decided that two smaller stoves would do the job.

If you look at our floorplan here, my original thought was to place a large stove at location #1 (in red) or to place two smaller stoves - one at location #2 and the other at location #3. We decided that for now, we're going with one Quadra-Fire Castile in location #2 to heat that end of the house, closing off that zone of heat from the boiler and use the boiler to heat the rest of the house. Then if all works out well next winter, we'll install another one at location #3. We'll be purchasing all we need within the next week from a local shop.

I'm probably going to purchase 3 tons of pellets from a local supplier as well, and here is the list of pellets they sell:

1. Barefoot Premium Plus Hardwood
2. Pellet Heat in an Instant (Hardwood Pellet) - 8,300 to 8,500 btu per pound
3. Lignetics (Hardwood Pellet) -
4. Juniata (Pennsylvania Hardwood Pellet) - 8,400 btu per pound
5. Shur-Blaze - 8,990 btu per pound
6. Granules L & G - 8.700 btu per pound

Which of the above would be the best pellet to buy?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Steve -- in my experience, the BRAND of pellets isn't always that important.

You will get recommendations all over the place -- Brand X is the best, then the next person says brand X is the worst, Brand Y burned great for me, then the next person says the worst I've ever had is brand Y.

I have even bought a ton of pellets that burned great at the beginning of the ton and burned very poorly toward the end.

My theory is that there are a few variables in play -- first, the raw material input at the mill isn't 100% consistent from day to day -- as the raw material varies, so does the final product. Second, each stove burns a little differently and may "like" certain types of pellets better than others. Third, pellet storage conditions may vary (some in cool dry temps, some in hot humid temps).

I would recommend buying a few bags of several different kinds, burn them each in your stove, and buy the bulk of the brand that works the best for you from the same place you bought the bags that worked well.

Just my .02, though.

Steve,
I'm from Southeastern MA too and am looking to buy a pellet stove too. What dealer are you going with for the pellet stove and the pellets? Thanks!

Hi pelletman, I just sent you a PM.

Steve

I agree with gw2kpro that if you can, it is better to try out a few bags of
a brand before buying them in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.