Decisions, decisions, decision... which stove to buy next.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I'm finishing a room above out 3 car attached garage and will be putting a stove in this room for next winter. Unfortunately I have had to use the oil furnace to keep this room warm. When the zone for this room is turned off and the door is open to expose it to the rest of the upstairs, the upstairs temps drop from 66-67 to down to 62-63. That is not bad for my wife and I, but the toddler does not sleep as well when it gets that cold, and we will have a 4 month old up there with us come next winter as well. The room itself get up to just about 60, and that on a mild day. The M55 is doing an awesome job, but cannot handle the extra square footage that this room creates when the door is open and the zone is turned off.

So.... I am looking at 4 stove currently:
Enviro Empress, St. Croix Hastings and Quadra-Fire Santa Fe and Castile.

They all have about the same specs for BTU and heating capacity. I really like the price point of the Santa Fe and it still looks good. I'm familiar with the Enviro and the Empress is almost identical to the M55 with the exception of the burn chamber. I don't have any experience with the St. Croix but did find a local dealer and will going to take a look at one within the next few weeks. Same with the Quad stoves.

At this point I am thinking that the stove is going to be running only at night, for about 8 hours, to keep the upstairs temps at a nice level while we sleep, as well as eliminate the need to run that oil furnace zone. I have already burnt through about 100 gallons in the past 2 months to keep this room warm. The base board is as far as it could possibly be from the furnace by being on the second floor and on the other end of the house so it is super inefficient.

I was hoping that some members of the forum that have the stoves or have had these stoves can give me there opinion of them, likes and dislikes, did you have any major problems, do they put out good heat.... etc. etc.....

I appreciate any feedback anyone can give me on these stove. Or even other stove suggestions. I'm in no hurry but would like to have a decision made in case any good spring sales start to pop up.

Check out this link. May be helpful.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87504/

I have spoken with a guy at work about his stove. He has an Englander stove and is very happy with it.
Has had it close to 8 years. A little bit more work to clean, but price and value do weigh in.

We are also considering a 2nd stove. Ours would be going in the basement which is unfinished.
Runs near 50 so is a bit cool. We would probably run it evenings and weekends depending on temps.

Hope this helps!

Hi lessoil, thanks for the input. I do remember reading that thread and will take a look at those stoves mentioned. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Englander stoves so I should take a closer look at them.

thanks.

Congrats on the new baby! Hope the little one is healthy happy and warm!

Thanks Pelltfisky! The new baby is due in August, so I have plenty of time to make a true decision on the stove. When talking to an Enviro deal he mentioned that Enviro does a $300 coupon in November and that he usually matches it. That would bring the price of the Empress down to what the St. Croix Hastings is.

Status
Not open for further replies.