Decisions, Decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lebondj1

Nov 12, 2010
E.TN
Hello
First time poster. We owned a pellet stove about 14 years ago when we lived in NM. It was bought from Home depot and was made in Canada I believe but don't remember the make. I believe the cost was around $1200. We really like that stove, very bare bones and had no problems while owned. We moved and now live in East Tennessee.
Our house is a split foyer with a main floor and basement. It is all electric with a heat pump. Needless to say when it get below 30 degrees it is cold in the house and the emergency heater struggles to keep the temperature close to 65. We have a fireplace in the basement which is also pretty useless. We think we would like another pellet stove and place it in the upstairs living room where we usually hang. There are a few stores that sell stoves locally but being in the south mostly folks burn wood. The one store sells the Enviro Empress which was operational and very quiet. My wife liked the brown color also, cost around $3400. They also sell the Lopi Leyden for a couple hundred less but didn't have a display. They don't sell pellets and the person we talked to didn't seem exceptionally knowledgeable. Another store had the Lennox arbor for about $4000. This stove was louder especially the combustion fan but it did put out the heat. We plan to visit another store that sells a couple of other brands and has pellets on Saturday since they are about 30 minutes away. I believe they sell Harman, Englander, and Thelin. Out of those stoves I listed is there any that we should stay away from? They all seem kinda expensive but with the tax credit helps to reduce the cost.
Thanks
Doug

Welcome Aboard!

As to your question of which to stay away from...I can't be of much help.

Englander's are sold at Home Depot now days. And are a good value for what you'd pay for them.

First question for us is are you going to do your own service work or need/want to have it all done by an dealer? That will help us help you better.

I have no experience with your brands but I seem to recall reading numerous posts from very frustrated Lennox users.

Enviro, Harman, Englander, and Thelin are all well respected brands.

I think you'll find the Englander very affordable and all you have to do is search this website a little to find examples of Englander's superior customer service. (stoveguy2esw aka:Mike Holton)

I'll be giving Englander a close look if I ever need another stove.

I expect while under warranty that the dealer would do the warranty work but maybe I'm wrong? I have no problems replacing parts when needed. I was a little amazed at the sticker price though. The Home Depot and Lowes by us do not carry pellet stoves or the pellets.
Doug

Welcome....... remember.. You get what you pay for....

the more reputable brands are more expensive for a reason.

Welcome to the forum lebondj1.

I don't do stove recommendations, however I will say this, if you can't handle the repairs yourself don't count on the stove to be your primary heating source.

The stove dealer should do the warranty repairs provided he actually services what he sells, in the list of stoves above that you gave "Englander" is a self service stove.

If you are going to depend upon a dealer to service your stove in or out of warranty you need to do your homework on the dealers and you should have at least two that will service the stove you select.

Yes that is correct the dealer choice is usually more important than the stove brand.

lebondj1 said:
I expect while under warranty that the dealer would do the warranty work but maybe I'm wrong? I have no problems replacing parts when needed. I was a little amazed at the sticker price though. The Home Depot and Lowes by us do not carry pellet stoves or the pellets.
Doug

Don't rule them out because they're not in stock...Possible order "in store" or there's always the "on-line" option.

cncpro said:
I have no experience with your brands but I seem to recall reading numerous posts from very frustrated Lennox users.......

Agreed....I'd stay away from the Lennox stove. The others you mention all make good quality stoves. It really boils down to how much $ you want to spend*, the heat output you need, and the looks of the stove.

* don't forget to include the cost of installation, exhaust pipe, a hearth, and other minor items (surge protector, CO monitors, etc).

What kid of problems have the Lennox products had? My dealer has had one heating their sales desk for three years now and it sure looks purty...

Thanks all for your comments. After looking at all the local dealers within 45 miles we ended back at the dealer 5 minutes away. We bought a Lopi Leyden and got the 2 ton of pellets for $99 special all delivered to the house. I will install myself with a straight short horizontal run through the wall. Wish me luck!
Doug

Great. Beautiful stove. Hope you're happy with it. When you can post some pics. I'm still shopping, its between a Harmon PP38+, P43 or Rika IntegraII ( burn demo or new). Harmon has $100 off coupon when you do a dealer search.

I was actually looking at a Harman XXV and we really liked it. Relatively quiet and looked nice. The dealer wasn't offering any incentives-didn't know about the Harman $100 thing and the dealer didn't volunteer it either. So the stove would have cost more up front and we liked the Lopi Leyden just as much plus the 2 ton of pellets.
I need to make or buy a hearth base. The last one I had for our previous stove was a piece of 1 1/4" slab of stone which worked well.
Doug

You got my interest. Just checked Lopi web site, buy a cast pellet stove get 2 tons of pellets for $99, buy steel pellet stove get 1 ton free. Lopi dealer didn't tell me that. The Harmon coupon just came up yesterday, wasn't there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.