decisions!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwells793

Jan 15, 2008
cincinnati,ohio
i have a garage attached to my house with a room above,and was thinking of putting a wood burning stove in my garage to help warm it and the room above.the hvac going to the room is poor,the floor is not insulated,has lots of windows,and the garage is brick and drafty.i have an older, small stove,(dutchwest), given to me that the info is warn off the tag. i figured stove+heat rising= warm rooms.i have read this forum and am capable of doing the install.will this help my heating problem? not the whole house,just the 2 rooms for now.i hope that this would lead me to buying a bigger one eventually if i prove the heating a benefit to the wife.thanks.

Does that include a gas burning heater? It seems it would, but there was one in our garage when we bought the house. Also, who has to have their house inspected after a stove installation? I just had one installed and never had anyone out to check it. We live out in the country, so I suppose it is only town or city dwellers that have to have inspections.

Codes pretty much apply everywhere - I can't imagine that you could build a house in your area and not have it inspected - there is probably either town or regional building officials.

The codes I gave are up to date. It used to be allowed to put certain types of heaters in as long as they were raised off the floor. Before that it was OK to put them in, even on the floor - but there were fires related to this, so that is why the codes changed.

As to gas heaters, those would be completely different standards as the codes I quotes are mostly for solid fuel. I am not very familiar with gas code, but I suspect that the owners manual for any appliance that you consider...will have clear do's and don'ts in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.